What's new

New 'Alexander' DVD coming... (3 Viewers)

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator

Well, I've had a fascination for the film since I saw it in theaters. It's flawed, to be sure - but still quite the noble effort. As much as I applaud Farrell for trying his hardest, I still don't think he was quite right for the role (though I think he has his moments). Certain other performances are not quite right either. The film has an overdramatic quality, as well, that seems to put some people off (I didn't quite know how to take it at first). The theatrical cut was also poorly structured.

The Director's Cut, on the other hand, had a structure that made sence, and I understood what Stone was trying to say about Alexander. The flawed performances still stick out in the film, but it's still an interesting production that continues to stimulate my curiousity.

...and I LOVE the music.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks

Wow, a couple of vicious attacks when all I did was express my opinion on the slight irregularity of triple-dipping a movie which is widely considered to be a failure. People complain ad nauseum on this forum about double dipping, but apparently that only applies to blockbuster movies that didn't give everything but an extended commentary by the kitchen sink on the first release.

I'm still waiting on a two-disc edition of Masters of the Universe or the PG-13 cut of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It just seems slightly unfair to me that Oliver Stone gets three chances to get a movie right, just because he's Oliver Stone, when the same studio doesn't give that consideration to the vast majority of their other titles/directors. That's all. It has nothing to do with the quality of the film itself. For the record, I walked out on the theater presentation, but gave it a second chance by renting the director's cut, which I thought fixed a lot of the problems and was actually fairly enjoyable.....not that I'd ever want to actually own it.

I suppose the Will Farrell comment was supposed to be some sort of insult. I don't quite get it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

You were basically being called stupid on the inferance that anyone who likes a Will Farrell movie over Alexander is stupid. You should of gotten it, as it sort of supports... never mind ;)

I'm all for this cut. Back when Alexander tanked, Oliver was quoted as saying it's the type of film he could revisit every 10 years and make a new cut, and that he didn't quite have full satisfaction with the DC, that he needed a bit of perspective. I have no problem with him doing it in 2 years instead of 10.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Jeez, if you guys keep at this you're going to end up giving Alexander fans a bad name:

"Most people hate Alexander... and the rest are a bunch of elitist jerks."

(Please notice the quotation marks before responding with an angry tirade - it's just a joke.)

I'm done posting on this thread, you guys can turn this into a one-sided toga party if you want.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Given that the footage has already been shot, I can't see how preparing two or three cuts of the movie would be 'costing millions' for Warner, unless access to Avid editing sytems has gone up in price recently. I'd assume Stone would be preparing the new cut via his usual post-production team. A new, third version to market is simply money in the bank for Warner, who would probably be happy to recoup a few more bucks on the film.

I haven't seen the film in any cut yet but am prepared to purchase this super-extended version to catch the movie in its best fighting shape.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Vincent, I think Stephen is referring to PatrickDA's explosion against Elijah's thoughts. I too wish people would be a little more HTF-like in their manners regarding this very divisive subject.

In any case, I'll applaud any studio that takes the time to give due respect to a lesser known film. Examples include Fox's Fight Club, another critical and commercial flop, and more than a few Criterion releases. It isn't just the blockbusters or critical darlings that deserve big dvd treatment.

In this case, it seems reasonably worthy of attention, a film with a small but growing fanbase, coming from a major director, at very little cost to the studio, as far as I can tell. The final release will probably be a barebones 2 disc or flipper, something for fans. I'm pretty positive this won't be a 3-4 disc, as the DC dvd is already stacked, with a GREAT doc and and a typically great Stone commentary, with Stone literally talking nonstop from the beginning of the opening logo til the end of the end credits. I hope this long cut actually does get released to the public.

Regards,
Nathan

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
There is no way Warner would not release this and piss off one of there golden boys. Oliver and them have made good coin together and i dont think they will risk killing that. And DVD sales and rentals have proven the film has legs. Look forward to it, love to see this in an HD version. I expect this out around the same time the World Trade Center DVD comes out.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I watched the Alexander director's cut again today, this time listening to the commentary.

Wow.

As Stone illuminated the changes, additions and subtractions of film and the juxtaposition of key scenes, I understood the film much more and I believe he changed a flawed film into a much better one, IMHO. It plays like The Godfather, Part II, with time jumping back and forth, important events acting as point and counterpoint in the life of Alexander The Great (as they did in Michael Corleone's).

It is completely obvious to me that Stone feels strongly about this film and his vision wasn't completely achieved. A director with this kind of passion needs some slack to see it through.

I look forward to the longer cut.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
From LA Weekly, print edition, August 11-17, 2006, page 39:

Stone: "I like the director's cut better than the first version, because I had more time to prepare it. And the structure is different. It wasn't because of the homosexuality- that's a red herring. The mother's back story and father's back story, which are really essential, don't come in until later. We're doing a third, expanded version now- we're going all out. This is not for theatrical; it's for people who love the film and want to see more of it. It's the Cecil B. DeMille treatment- three hours and forty-five minutes. What i'm doing is I'm going back and showing the whole thing in its sumptuousness, really going with the concept that it had to be an oold-fashioned movie, with an intermission, like a road show. Be a showman, instead of trying to be a responsible filmmaker. Go all out on this one. This is my Apocalypse Now, my DeMille epic. [The first time] I was trying to step up to the plate, so to speak. I should have pulled it back, take an extra year like Marty did with Gangs of New York. But it would have cost a lot of money."

From a great 6 page interview, well worth reading. He discusses a large range of topics.

Regards,
Nathan

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
Personally, I'm yet to own Alexander (though it's in my Amazon cart waiting for me to checkout - both versions), but I found the film lacking.

That being said, it'll take more than one dud film (even in two versions) for me to believe Stone has gone to shit. I'm curious about WTC, but if there's a new cut of Alexander coming in at well over 3 hours, I'll give that a shot too.

Any Given Sunday was proof that Oliver Stone can still make solid films, and maybe Alexander just needs some breathing room.

That being said, as for his comment about Gangs, I didn't think that extra year gave Gangs anything apart from a stupid CG elephant and a score that felt like a half-assed LOTR. Not a terrible film, but hardly a modern classic.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I saw Alexander in the theaters and enjoyed the film, yet I saw many flaws. I'm a big Oliver Stone fan, though, so I'm looking forward to seeing his final vision. I hope he records a commentary for it because his commentary tracks are facinating to hear.

Thanks for the info!

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I would love to see a cut like this. Yes, the movie was flawed, but I still enjoyed it greatly and thought it was unfairly beaten.

I actually know several people who will swear up and down that the movie sucked...yet they never saw it. Gotta love the influence that the media has.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
People at Stone's offical office in L.A. are saying it'll be a Fall 2007 release.
I was hoping for something A LOT sooner, but I'll take it instead Stone's
original idea of waiting 10 years before revisiting it.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
a large stone fan here, and i didn't dig alexander. that being said, i'll give it another go if it's given some more space.

i think stone's director's cuts (natural born killers and most notably, JFK) have been solid, with NBK being the pre-MPAA version, and JFK being a completely reworked version, years after initial release.

if there's anyone's film's i think can be improved from a well-done director's cut, its either stone, or jim cameron.

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
I've only seen the directors cut of the film. What I didn't like about the movie was more in its structure. It seemed like a character was introduced, killed, and then we find out why it was such a shame he died.

The pieces to the puzzel are there, they are just scrambled so I hope Stone goes back in and repairs the flow. I don't care if he adds wall to wall gay sex than ever before as long as the plot is filled out more and I care about the characters more.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I thought the film was beautiful and the action sequences suberb but the script was terrible, if he does this again I hope he takes out Hopkins because the narrator kills the movie, it feels like I'm in history class, in any case I'll give this version a shot.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I really wish they would release a HD format Stone box set. I have never had the experience of Seeing the original JFK cut or Nixon. I had the pleasure of seeing the original Any Given Sunday and it had some amazing stuff in it as well. Just wish they would release both cuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks