What's new

Neighbor cuts down my tree! (1 Viewer)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Dennis - have you discussed the situation with your neighbor yet? Just curious, as I have been following this thread with great interest.

I would think, at minimum, he should offer to replace the tree. Not that you can run down to the local landscape store and find a 30' tree, but it would be a step in the right direction. Short of that, if this guy gives you any crap, I would consider calling an attorney. I hate involving lawyers in anything, but this could escalate and become very nasty.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Definitely consult with an attorney before doing anything. What your neighbor did was way out of line and there's no excuse for it IMO. I would be INCREDIBLY PISSED if it were my house.

Do remember Kirk's advice, you don't want to make an enemy out of your next door neighbor.

At an absolute MINIMUM your neighbor should give you allthe firewood from the tree (assuming you have a fireplace), pay for stump removal, and plant a new tree. Even if you don't sue a friendly letter from an attorney asking for this instead of you would be received with more urgency than just going next door. It's better to just have an attorney send the letter than go next door, ask for the stuff, and hope he's amenable.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
At an absolute MINIMUM your neighbor should give you allthe firewood from the tree (assuming you have a fireplace), pay for stump removal, and plant a new tree.
I agree with these quotes, especially about replacing the tree. I would recommend that you contact your local nursery and determine the value of the tree that he cut down.

DennisHP

Second Unit
I appreciate all the input so far and agree with the suggestions about getting a lawyer, him paying for a new tree, giving me back my woord, and removal of the stump. I have not spoken with the guy yet but hope to at least by tomorrow (Saturday). I'll be videoing the area tomorrow as well.

"Is it possible he misunderstood your "only 1 trunk permission" ? That's the defense he'll probably use."

I suppose he could use this as a defense but that too is his mistake, not mine. i'll post back when I know more!

Thanks again...

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Light the firewood on fire and leave...

Oh, you misunderstood, he meant to burn it later.

I love old trees and they are close to priceless, especially if they are yours.

BTW. didn't he steal your wood. seriously/grin

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Ouch Dennis, that sucks. I'd have a fit if someone did this to me. I love trees, and a tree that large is going to take 10 to 20+ years to replace depending on the type of tree. Our baby Ash tree grew about a foot last year. One stinkin' foot! 20+ years is a very long time to wait to get your tree back...
Insist on mature tree replacement. They can't bring in a 30 footer, but you can, for the right amount of money, pay someone with specialized equipment to move 10+ year old trees that are between 10 and 20 feet tall. I'm guessing your neighbor will be in it for between $5k-$10k to have this done. Don't let him get away with loading a $50 tree into his truck and planting it with a shovel.
Hope things turn out for you. Either way, you're pretty much screwed with someone like that moves in next door. You either put up with their BS or fight them in court (I'd personally choose the latter), but either way you're going to have problems with one another for as long as you own your home. He may well resort to childish bullshit - pouring gas on your lawn, putting sugar in your gas tanks, throwing rocks through windows when you're not home, etc. Games like that can cost you thousands but there's not a lot the courts will do about it, and to even get them to do anything about it you'll need videocameras watching your property 24/7. :frowning: Here's hoping it doesn't escalate to that...

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I would call the police and report it as a theft, which is basically what it is.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Did he cut the tree down by himself or did he hire people to do that? Maybe the people he hired misunderstood him, and it's not really his fault?

~T

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
In my country it is even illegal to cut down a tree on your own land. I would have to get official permission first...

Now what I myself would do is, file a complaint with the police. That is not a hostile act towards your neighbour, because "of course" you don't think it was him! It was an unknown vandal. And you had agreed with him to only cut down one branch.

Yes, if it appears that it was him after all, your relations are in trouble - but not because of your actions!

Cees

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Yes, if it appears that it was him after all, your relations are in trouble - but not because of your actions!
I don't think this will matter. Once the legal system is involved, no matter how, relations are going to be strained. One hopes they can be mended or at least politely ignored, rather than ongoing violent arguments.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Dennis,

You are in Portland, OR and a tree was cut down w/o proper gov't authorization? Maybe you didn't know this but cutting down of any tree over a certain size is illegal in the Portland area unless you get a permit (even if the tree is dead). The next time your property is inspected for tax purposes you might be in for a hefty fine. I'd get this issue resolved ASAP... your local garden center can tell you which Gov't office you need to contact (let them know the neighbor did it). I had to go through the paperwork when a willow tree died on my property...

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Hell, once you get all of this resolved, just go over to his house and kick his ass. He deserves it. There are way too many stupid people in this world.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Hell, once you get all of this resolved, just go over to his house and kick his ass. He deserves it. There are way too many stupid people in this world.
True, there are way too many stupid people in this world but don't you think we could do with a little less violence?

DanaA

Screenwriter
I've been coming back to this thread to see the new postings. I just keep thinking that maybe your neighbor misunderstood you, but coming to the conclussion that he's a freakin jerk. I think a strong statement is needed or else he'll do something else equally stupid in the future. I just can't believe his nerve. I'm real upset and it wasn't even my tree.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Members,
If you're going to offer suggestions, please do so without suggesting criminal acts such as poisoning pets, vandalism, assault & battery, and etc.
Robert Crawford
HTF Adminstrator

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Sorry, yeah your right. I dont know how far this person's neighbor has taken it, but I have lived and know others who have lived in situations with such bad neighbors that it is like being terrorized in your own home. This is bull, and the cops rarely do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks