What's new

"Needle / Damage Done" & "Day Tripper" (1 Viewer)

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Can anyone tell me the similarities between the DVD-A stereo version of Neil Young's "The Needle and the Damage Done" and the Beatles '1' version of "Day Tripper"?

Here's a hint: Tune in, Turn on, ???

-JNS

John Watson

Screenwriter
There are digital drop-outs?

That could mean these new audio formats will be as subject to defects as the DVD Movie and Player interface?

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
You can breathe a sigh of relief, there are no digital dropouts.

But these new stereo remasters have corrected analog tape dropouts, although these corrections are audible especially on headphones. The stereo image gets altered (it steers a bit to one side, usually) during a correction, but it is less noticeable than the original analog tape dropouts.

Just thought I'd pass that tidbit along to the HTF.

-JNS

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Neil Young's "The Needle and the Damage Done"
Could you tell me where this is on the CD? I assume you're talking about the Harvest CD vs. DVD-A. I'm not doubting you; I'm simply curious.

NP: Medeski, Martin & Wood - 10/25/2002 - Philly, PA

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
The analog tape dropout on CD version of "The Needle and the Damage Done" is from 1:34 to 1:35, and it occurs in the left channel.

"I've seen the needle and the damage duhwnwnnwnnne"

It's almost as if the tape oxide flaked off at that point.

They corrected this in the DVD-A stereo version, not by remixing it, but by running it through some software.

-JNS

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Sure enough. There it is. Thanks.

BTW, Neil Young's CD catalog gets a bad rap but Harvest isn't that bad. It's not the greatest CD ever released sonically but it's definitely listenable. How is the hi-rez stereo track on the DVD-A?

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
The 24/192 stereo section on Harvest boasts a lower noise floor, a less peaky midrange, and very nice highs (such as the ride cymbals on the chorus of 'Old Man'). Also, the snare drum has more texture to its sound (nicely heard on 'Out on the Weekend').

It is mastered at a fairly low level so you have to turn up the amplification, but that's a good thing here!

I'm still deciding on the surround tracks. So far, I like the 'barn session' tracks for surround the most, followed by the orchestral sessions. The Nashville studio sessions were never intended for surround though, and the way they mixed the bass guitar in 'Old Man' was a mistake - no way around that.

So, the stereo tracks and the barn-session surround tracks are excellent, and that makes it worthwhile for me!

-JNS

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
So you're saying the 1 "Day Tripper" fixes the drop-out that I've heard 8 million times over the years? I suppose that should sound like a positive, but frankly, I don't like it. Whether intended or not, that drop-out IS part of "Day Tripper"; without it, the song will sound weird. I still don't like the "fixed" "Please Please Me" without the bit where John and Paul sing different lines.

Which reminds me to ask: does 1962-66 include the goofed "PPM" or does it have the straight one from the old PPM album? If 1962 offers the goof, I might finally have to buy it. The song just sounds WRONG without it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks