What's new

Needing Thoughts On Upgrading My HT (1 Viewer)

emit_d

Auditioning
Hello everyone! I'm a new member here (although I've been reading posts on here for years), and I've reached that point in my life where I've doing a complete overhaul on my HT speakers and subwoofer. I do have a a great HK AV525 but everything else is at least 10 years old. After reading countless posts, I think I'm leaning toward getting Klipsch speakers, either Reference or Synergy. But I am open to Polk, and JBL as well (my current surronds are JBL Flix 1's). Now the AV 525 is set for 7.1 and I do have a pair of Sony SS-MB150H surrounds. So now I need to replace a second set of surrounds, center, front left and right, and the subwoofer.

I'm targeting a budget in the $1500-$2000, so any ideas-thoughts are most appreciated. If any suggestions go over, that's fine as well. I want this setup to last.

Also, any ideas on a good sub would be great. I was reading good things on the Velodyne VX-10. Does anyone have some thoughts on this one? Or should I think bigger? Thanks a lot!

Sean Mc

Agent
I'm by no means an authority on this, but if I had that much to spend on just speakers and sub, I'd probably get some ascend acoustics.

At plasmadocs, you could make a system with 340s for center and mains with 170s for surrounds and rears. Add in an SVS PB10-isd and you've got a solid system right in the middle of your price range.

I don't have the ascends but I do have the SVS PB-10 and love it :)

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Emit, how did you come up with that list of potential speakers? Are they ones you have listened to?

emit_d

Auditioning
I've listened to a variety of Polks at Fry's and Best Buy. There's a home theater store in my town that have Klipsch's but I haven't gotten to visit them just yet. I narrowed it down to these 3 based on responses I've been reading on these forums, but in all honesty, I'm open to anything at this point. So many to choose from...

Elinor

Supporting Actor
I would suggest you find some speakers like NHT, Paradigm, etc. to listen to. You might have to shop in a more specialized "hi fi" type store to hear them.

If you want stuff that will last (I don't mean physically), that will satisfy you for years to come, I think you have to step above the general mass market offerings and find gear that is targeted at a higher end market.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks