What's new

Need TV Advice.................. (1 Viewer)

Dustin_T

Auditioning
I've been looking at a couple direct-view HDTV's recently and would like your opinions.

I'm down to either a Toshiba 36HFX71 or wait until the Sony 36hs500 is available.

I've seen the Sony 32 hs500 and the 36hfx. Both look great with HiDef from what I can tell. If I had to pick which one was best it would the Sony 32, but I don't know how fair of a comparison it is since the Toshiba was 36". My main question is which will be best for regular DirecTV?

Also, if the Sony will be better is it worth the wait?

DT

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome, Dustin:

Let me tell you a dark secret. Even though a WEGA dominates my living room, I sometimes find myself making excuses to watch the smaller Toshiba in the bedroom. It's color is more accurate. I enjoy its picture more.

The Sony, though way too blue at even the best color-temp setting, could be tamed from the service menu.

Either way, though, you'll be happy with whichever set you purchase. They're both good.

JB

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I just bout a 36HFX71 and aside from a few minor calibrations i have to get done it is AMAZING I have to re-calibrate it using avia but my first run though got me to what seemed to be about 0 push on all three colors. (but it was my fiurst time so my eye may have been a little off.

the line doubler is spectactular and the Toshiba picture on cable and lower quality sattilite pictures is far superior in my opinion. ( i compared the Toshiba to the 36" tau and XBR) the only problem with the toshiba is on bright white backgrounds you may or may not notice a line running down the center of the tv. I have yet to see it since i brought it home, but i did have it pointed out to me int he showroom, and i really didn't think it was an issue, we had to look hard for it, and we could only get it when using the sports mode on the tv (contract and brightness way too high) and we had to watch i believe it was speed skating.

The toshiba is in my opinion the best tv out there for the money. The only way i would buy the Sony is if money was no object. that is to say i could not justify spending 5 dollars more on the sony.... except to say i had an XBR. and to delude myself into thinking it was all the cable compansy fault for the artifacts... not the line doubler.

Trust me you will not be disappointed with the Toshiba, and just think for the same price as a sony you can either get a bigger toshiba or maybe a RP-91 or something else equally as sweet.

Dustin_T

Auditioning
Thanks guys.

I ordered the Toshiba yesterday, but I still have a few days before taking delivery from the store. I think I got a good deal, after negotiating for a while I was able to get it for $1625.

I guess I'm having one of those 'grass is always greener on the other side of the fence' moments.

The 32" Sony really did look great to me, but I want a 36".

I know I can't really compare different TV's with different setups from different stores and get an accurate idea of which is better, but this is all I had to go on.

I know the Sony will have a DVI input, but I'm not sure if I need to worry about that or not.

My DVD player is a Panasonic RP82.

Again, I like lots of sports so the picture quality with DitecTV is very important to me. Is Toshiba's NTSC handling better than Sony's?

Thanks again for your advice,

DT

John-Miles

Screenwriter
IMHO yes Toshiba handles NTSC better than Sony (by NTSC I assume you mean cable and sattilite?)

and it sounds like you got a great deal on your TV, I paid 2860 for mine (Canadian Dollars) and i thought that was good. So you should be really happy. good luck with the TV Dustin.

Dustin_T

Auditioning
Yes, I was referring to cable/sat, specifically DirecTV. As tempting as it is, I'm becoming a bit less apprehensive on passing on the Sony. I will get the Toshiba next week, so I won't have to wait just to go through this process again in the near future. I just cringe at shelling out another 1G-2G, so at least it will be behind me.

As long as the picture of the Toshiba doesn't leave me wanting more, and I don't think I'll be too picky, I'll be very happy.

I am still open though to opinions, but yours is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

DT

Dustin_T

Auditioning
John,

I've had a bit to play with my set since it was delivered Monday and hooked up CORRECTLY yesterday.

First off, WOW, I'm could not be happier with the set. Sat is very watchable, but I didn't get the DVD player connected via component till yesterday. After watching Sat tv for a couple days I finally got to see what the set could do with a progressive DVD signal. I gave it an abbreviated tune up with Avia until I got tired of tweaking and just began to relax and watch. The picture is absolutely amazing. I've watched over 4 DVD's in the last two evenings and I just can't seem to pull myself away.

I'm sooooooooooo happy I didn't wait for the Sony. I got an ok deal and don't have to worry about xyz set, feature, or brand. This set is nothing short of fabulous to me and I get to have it NOW instead of beating myself up over 'witch set is better, ect.'

Thank you for helping to put my mind at ease, I'm incredibly happy with the purchase.

Thank you,

DT

John-Miles

Screenwriter
No problem Dustin, I'm glad to hear you like the set.

If there is any other question i can answer feel free to ask. and if you have anything to add about this set just let me know.

Enjoy the tv watching buddy.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Hey one other thing Dustin......... If you figure out how to get the mute logo off the TV let m eknow, i usually just use the tv's speakers for normal viewing, but gaming and dvd's are through my receiver and its a pain having to turn the volume all the way down cause that silly mute loge seems to stay on the bottom of the screen.

Dustin_T

Auditioning
Hey John.

I can't give you any help on the mute logo. I set up my system with no audio going to the tv, everything gets routed through the reciever. I like it this way, you may not.

Thanks again,

DT

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Oh i perfer it that way.... but i use my receiver to supply my computer speakers.... so when im watching tv i like to be able to hear messages and such. gotta multitask. :)

Dustin_T

Auditioning
That makes sense. I have a LAN at my place with a computer very close to my living room. I can hear the IM's through it.

DT

John-Miles

Screenwriter
well once i get a hold of a digital camer i will have HT pics on my website... but right now my TV and computer are on the same desk.... about 3-4 inches apart :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks