What's new

Need tips on patching holes in plaster wall! (1 Viewer)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I need to move some pictures around, which will expose the holes from the anchors and screws. I would like to patch and paint them. The holes are fairly small, although the plaster has crumbled a little around a few of them. So . . . what's the best way to do it? These walls were put up in 1933, but are in really good shape. I'd like to keep them that way! :)

1) What is the best method for removing the plastic anchors from the walls?

2) What, if any, prepping is needed before patching?

3) What's the best patching compound to use for plaster? Patching plaster or spackling compound? I've read that both will do.

Many thanks . . .

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Pamela,

Admit it, you were playing hammer darts again and you don't want to lose your security deposit. :)

Friends reference for anyone who doesn't get it.

BOT:

I'm not sure how old the walls were in my last apartment, but when I took the plastic anchors out of the wall, I just used a pair of pliers and yanked them out.

I didn't cover up the holes because they were considered normal wear and tear and were covered by our lease.

Best of luck to you!

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Spackling compound will do. If the holes are too big, I usually tear up some paper and stuff it in there before spackling. Gives it some backing/resistance to adhere to. It also helps to keep the patch from dimpling and the spackling compound from falling out the back of the hole.

If the plaster is really bad around the holes (crumbling), you may need to put a screen patch over it before spackling.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Lol! NOT the gel toothpaste!

Actually, you can buy a small tub of spackle or joint compound at your local hardware store and a cheap plastic putty knife for probably under $5.

Press it into the holes and smooth with putty knife. Let dry. Once dry, rub it smooth with a wet rag. Let it dry again.... paint it.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Most hardware stores sell fiberglass screening especially for this purpose. Cheap and works well. I've covered up some pretty significant holes with it. Just sand, re-apply, sand again, re-apply, etc... I just use the standard vinyl compound for filling.

Good Luck !

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info.

Actually, I am a pro at this one. That was our method of patching small wall holes during college.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks