What's new

Need the antenna (1 Viewer)

Tony_Z

Auditioning
Found the exact distance from my lat/long coordinates to the tower's lat/long coordinates:
CH7 = 36 mi
CH12 = 38 mi
CH24 = 4 mi (surpirsed)
CH29 = 36 mi
On the map of my previous post, all signals except the 4mi one will be coming from the southeast. The 4 mi one will be coming from the north, northwest.
Sorry, it takes me so long to review all of you guys' responses but the only time I can get on this computer is late at nite after work (pretty busy at work lately paying for the new HT :) )

Richard Driskill

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Tony,
OK, your getting better. 3 more things.
1) Now you need to find out the transmitting wattage (i.e.: 15.75 kW) for each station signal, because most of these station are what I would consider a very long haul.
2) You need to get the height on the tower that the broadcasting antennas are at (i.e.: 975' AGL or 1,427' AMSL) for each station in question. If they are listed in AMSL (Above Mean Sea Level; which they probably are), then you need to know what your AMSL is for your place also. If the info is listed in AGL (Above Ground Level), ditto.
3) Your station vector map did not display, can you post it again (if I am off in my description below of station placement)?
TV channels are divided into VHF (Very High Frequency) and UHF (Ultra High Frequency). Channels 2 through 13 are VHF, channels 14 though 69 are UHF in the U.S.
Channel 7 and 12 are VHF (that is a good thing), but they are still very far away. Channel 24 and 29 are UHF.
If Channel 24 (which is VERY close) is pretty much right on target opposite the grouping of Channels 7, 12, and 29 on the compass dial, then I think I would recommend going with a directional antenna pointed at the group that is 36/38 miles away. The back end of the antenna (the arrow-point end) should easily be able to pick up channel 24 because it is so close. It is going to depend on the rest of the data you supply to answer what size antenna you'll need and if you need an amplifier (you probabley need one).
Now the bad news. All this is in relation to these 4 stations. If you are expecting to pick up others that are not at these locations (analog or digital), then the situation may change totally.

Tony_Z

Auditioning
OK, you're right... I should have put everything down. As far as the picture goes, I guess it was a "session" link that must have expired. ( I will delete it now) The map isn't really important though now that I have got the "specs" from the TV stations.
In case I wrote them down wrong, here is the link to the site where I am getting my info from: http://www.metronet.com/~chipk/tv/TPA.html
Oh yeah, BTW, I don't care about picking up any analog stations at this time (I have cable) and this is all that is available right now in my area for HDTV.

Tony_Z

Auditioning
QUESTION:
How do you know all of this information? Is there a site that you can send me to so I don't have to keep bugging you?
P.S. I really don't think that I'm bugging you. We ALL LOVE this forum!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks