Need the antenna

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony_Z, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Tony_Z

Tony_Z Auditioning

Ok, I have the TV on the way... should have been here by now [​IMG] But I am now realizing that I will need an antenna to receive the signals to put on the 3000 dollar set I bought. My tv is HDTV ready so I don't think I need a tuner. I have scanned thru these posts and quite frankly I can't sit here all morning (or nite whichever time zone you're in). Can someone please refer me to a good site or a past thread that has sites listed for buying a HDTV antenna? I live about 20-30 miles from the broadcast tower. I've been to TitanTV.com... are they a good reference to use when you do the "find the right antenna for you" link? Thanx for the help. You all are great. Going to bed now, check back in about 20hrs. (after work)

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

try http://www.antennaweb.org/antennaweb/
    by the way, if your set is hd ready you will need a tuner also to receive digital channels for HDTV..Tampa area as quite a few already on the air including CBS which just about their entire line up is HD...Word is also out that ABC has ordered their fall primetime line up in HD....
    ------------------

3. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

You'll have to tell us what TV you got to answer this correctly, but normally "HDTV-ready" means that you HAVE to get a HDTV receiver (and noticing the price of 3000, I don't think the receiver is built-in). Several people have recommended the Radio Shcak double bow-tie antenna. As for a website for antennas, try Antennaweb.org .
    Darold "Brins" Brinley
    ------------------
    If I wasn't flying fighters, I'd be at home watching HDTV!!!

4. JosephV

JosephV Auditioning

The antennaweb site will give you the info you need to make an informed decision. Make sure you know whether or not you need VHF and UHF capability, or UHF only. Antennas are designed for both instances. Also, don't be surprised if you need a preamp (Channel Master and Winegard are the two most common types) in order to get the type of dependable reception you want. Finally, and most importantly, take some time to read the threads that relate to antennas, here and at avsforum.com in the HDTV hardware section. It's worth your time and $ to get up to speed on this aspect of your HT. Good Luck!

5. Tony_Z

Tony_Z Auditioning

So now I am confused... Which is which? Is compatible the type with the receiver built in or is ready the type with it built in? I am going to be sooo pissed if I still have to spend more money! I think all this HT crap is driving me crazy!
    BTW I am waiting on a TOSH 56H80. The website says it's HDTV compatible. Do I need an external HDTV receiver? Please say NO. But if you say yes, help me out on a very inexpensive one. Just another thing I might need to learn about.
    Thanx

6. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

Of course you need an external receiver to get HDTV on the Toshiba 56H80. The RCA DTC100 or its Proscan equivalent is the cheapest one. "HD-ready" means that it can accept 1080i (HDTV) and display it, more or less. I think "HD-compatible" means that it can accept 1080i and but doesn't really have the resolution to display it in its full glory. In either case, you would need an external box to convert HDTV OTA or satellite signals to 1080i signals.
    -Abdul

7. Richard Driskill

Richard Driskill Stunt Coordinator

This is why I keep stressing to buy a "true" ATSC set (16 X 9 with the digital decoder built in)! The salesmen should be flogged if they sell a high-end set and don't point out that the consumer will have to buy more equipment.
    "HDTV compatible" (yuk!) and "HDTV ready" are N-O-T "true" ATSC sets, as they have no tuner.
    At 20-30 miles you will need a line of sight for OTA (over-the-air) digital pick-up. Either your going to have to have that "bow tie" antenna VERY high up, or you will need a directional antenna with a rotor. My suggestion is to go with a full spectrum direction antenna with rotor (there is NO difference between a NTSC and ATSC antenna, except the possibiltiy of UHF only ("bow tie" antennas are for UHF only)). You are going to find out that unlike an analog signal, which can fade in and out (like AM radio), the digital signal will be pretty much rock hard (similar to FM radio with it's PPL (phase-lock loop) circuit), but.... you have to have a decent signal level or you don't get ANY picture.
    I think you got ripped off. See if you can return the set.

8. Eric Lipp

Eric Lipp Agent

He got ripped off???
    Why do you say that?
    I just got my Toshiba 56H80 yesterday, and I'm QUITE happy with it so far.
    And, yes, I KNEW before I bought it that it did not have the HD receiver built in.
    I dont see why he should return the set, though.

9. Tony_Z

Tony_Z Auditioning

Well, I didn't know that the set wasn't TRUE ATSC and I am a little disgruntled about that but it wasn't the salesman fault. I ordered this set online after doing what I thought was adequate research. I assumed that Ready meant with a receiver built in but even on several sites now I see they say HDTV ready and HDTV compatible almost in the same sentence!
    As for the set goes... I have seen it in stores and I was very impressed. Even though it sux to have to spend another 500 bucks, I think I will probably keep the set.
    Antenna: What do you guys think about the TERK TV55 antenna? It's online right now for about 79 dollars.

10. Richard Driskill

Eric,
    I was under the assumption that a salesman sold him the set in a store never telling him that the set had no tuner. I made no comment in reference to the sets other qualities. I was only speaking in the sense that he believed the set had a tuner and would have to spend no further money in watching a digital broadcast.
    Obviously, I was mistaken (per his follow up post) in my assumption. You obviously had that information when making your purchase, and were able to make a totally informed decision. I hope you enjoy your new set.
    Tony,
    Is the TERK TV55 an indoor amplified antenna? If so, I do not believe you will be able to gather adequate signal from a UHF digital source 20 to 30 miles away. The good news is, if it is a "tabletop" antenna, you could easily return it if you find my hypothesis to be incorrect. (I think you will find I am correct on this though) I have a omni directional amplified antenna at 42' AMSL (above mean sea level) which turns out to work just fine for the digital stations that are 14.13 miles at 964' AMSL @ 15.8 kw and 14.30 miles away at 954' AMSL @ 14.4 kw from me. If ultimately, you do go with an external antenna, seal (boot) the connection at the antenna end, and if possible use RG-6QS coax (the QS stands for quad sheild).
    Visit the antenna web sites that Mike and Joseph suggested, they are very good in allowing you to analyze the possibilites of reception.

11. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

Richard,
    "This is why I keep stressing to buy a "true" ATSC set (16 X 9 with the digital decoder built in)! "
    Why would I want to limit myself to the abilities of a built-in when I can always upgrade my TW56x81 in the future when new receivers are built. I personally believe my DST-3000 will become outdated well before the TW56x81!!!
    Darold "Brins" Brinley
    ------------------

12. Richard Driskill

Hi Brins (Darold),
    I can't speak for every ATSC set ever made, but you do know that because they are digital tuners they rely heavily on programming code within, right? In a nut shell, barring some unbelievable change, they are "upgradable" via a download, or circuit board change.
    Now the big question to you is: What makes you think they are going to change anything? The ATSC format has been set for years. Your not talking about DFAST encryption or anything are you? That has nothing to do with ATSC transmissions, but rather cable companies screwing around with it.

13. Tony_Z

Tony_Z Auditioning

The TERK 55 is supposed to be an indoor/outdoor antenna. Check out the website
    I haven't actually bought it yet, just wondering. Let me know what you think.
    heres a pic:

14. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

Richard,
    I base part of this on the fact that the over-the-air format was just recently "finalized" (well after I bought my tv) and the fact that most of the new receivers have some sort of minor problem. I also believe more people ahve become accustomed to certain brands of DirecTv and wouldn't want to get stuck with the "style" of the receiver in the TV (certainly something that can be overcome). I also feel that the HDTV receiver has a very similar lifecyle as the PC, it can be upgraded with software but at some point the hardware will become outdated and you'll want a faster processor, etc. I guess it's really a personal preference thing...all I really know is HDTV rocks!!!!
    Darold "Brins" Brinley
    ------------------
    Now how did I do that?! [​IMG]

15. Richard Driskill

Tony,
    I see the picture of the TERK TV55. It is of the kind that will allow good front-to-back reception. In order for this type to be fully utilized, it would be going after transmissions at opposite ends of the compass dial, or most fully in front OR back if that be the case.
    Is this your situation? If it is, then you may be able to use it. The only other thing I would stiffly suggest is that you hoist it as high as possible on a mast. If you mount it against a wall or such (which is what it was really designed for), I feel it will not be able to "pull out" the needed digital UHF signal strength of the stations 20 to 30 miles away (unless the transmitters are way up on a mountain top looking down at your location). Is the 20-30 miles a correct figure?
    If this is not your situation, I feel this antenna would not surfice for your needs, and would recommend either an omni-directional amplified antenna at the top of a mast, or a directional antenna at the top of a mast with a rotor. The latter, should be amplified if it is small in size, and conversely, might not need amplification if it is large. Additionally, the latter is better, but is a pain because you have to turn the dial each time a transmitter is in another direction.
    Darold,
    I disagree with your analogy. I believe the fundimentals of the transmission formats will not change. If your going beyond that, and talking about things like having the TV execute progressive scan in modes normally restricted to interlacing (like 1080i), then that is a different ballgame, and the tuner would have nothing to do with that, and would be a function concerning the limitations of the trace system.
    My receiver (decoder inside my ATSC set) has no problems I'm aware of.
    Cars are the same way. Would that prevent you from buying an automobile until they come out with one that flies?

16. Steve B

Steve B Extra

I live about 20 miles from most of the HDTV broadcasts. DO NOT buy the Terk. After buying two similar antennas, I got fair reception some of the time. Go with a true antenna. You are better off with a big antenna in your attic than the TERK outside. I bought the HDTV ready (a bunch of crap - all antennas are HDTV ready - but really a good antenna) from Radio Shack (my 3rd antenna). I got it for half off (was $90 bucks - got it for $45). It is big and ugly on my roof, but it works great. I never drop the signal anymore and no amplifier needed.
    You will have to determine if you have any VHF DTV stations. We do in Cleveland (2 and 10) so I needed more than just the Bow Tie antenna (I'm told 10 is OK with a Bow Tie, but not 2). If you only have UHF like much of the country, you will probably be OK with the Bow Tie. I got a rotor, but turns out I really don't move it and probably didn't need it. All of my signals are above 85 (very good - you will know what that means when you get your DTC-100)
    ------------------

17. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

18. Lawrence

Lawrence Agent

19. Steve B

Steve B Extra

"has anybody tried the Recotron 3000?"
    AAAAARRRGh - remember the 2nd antenna I kind of mentioned? That was it. If you live on top of the transmitting station with a clean line of sight, the 3000 might work OK. I bought mine at Best Buy (almost killed myself installing it) and it was only marginally better than my first antenna. Again, with a few trees around and 20 miles of distance, it only worked OK.
    To Best Buy's credit (and the real reason to shop there), they let me return it even after installation. Which means, you might want to buy and try, but it didn't work very well for me. A lot of people are happy with Radio Shack and Channel Master antennas. I don't know where to get the Channel Master, but Radio Shack's are easy to come by and have a good return policy as well.
    As far as size goes, it is my understanding that you can not be told by anyone where or how big an antenna you can install.
    ------------------

20. Tony_Z

Tony_Z Auditioning

Richard,
    Thanks for all your help so far.. No I am not sure of the distance from the towers (guessing actually).
    Not really sure how to find out the UHF or VHF answers yet. The 4 available channels in HDTV are CH29 CH24 CH12 and CH7 is this helps you at all.