What's new

Need some semi-expert advice - thanks! (1 Viewer)

pete718

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Behmke
Hello all - I am looking for some advice before I plunk down some $$$ on a home theater setup. I'm a rookie at this, and thought the best way to go would be the htib route. Specifically, I think the Samsung HT-TQ85 would meet my needs. Here's the issue though:

I live in a rectangular loft-style apartment, about 800 sq. ft. My TV is at one end, and the couch sits about 10 feet from the TV. Behind the couch is my dining area, kitchen, etc. all in an open space. The main problem is that there is no good place behind the couch to put speakers (unless I mount them on the dining table or have them hovering in the middle of the room - which won't look so good). I was thinking of putting the "rear" speakers by the walls directly on either side of the couch. Does anyone see a problem with this? Will I lose the surround sound feel?

Any comments or advice on this proposed setup are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
In a 7.1 surround configuration you will have rear surrounds, but in a 5.1 surround configuration there is no need for rear surrounds. Ideal location for your surrounds in a 5.1 configuration is at an angle of 90 to 110 degrees to the left and right of your sitting position, above ear level if possible.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks