Trouble with Panasonic DVD-CP67K

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottNyb, Oct 28, 2002.

1. ScottNyb

ScottNyb Auditioning

I've noticed some problems with my new Panasonic DVD-CP67K 5-disc player that I think will require me to send it back under the factory warranty and get it replaced, but I want to describe them here in hopes that someone might have already had some experience with the same problems. If so, perhaps they could give me some advice in getting the problems fixed or letting me know if they're recognized faults that Panasonic has already acknowledged. I welcome any advice.

First off, the progressive scan does not work. I'm not an home theater expert, but I'm pretty good at following the manuals and I'm almost certain that I have all the settings right to enable progressive scan, but any time I press the progressive scan out button the picture turns to slanty static (though the sound is unaffected). I have this unit connected to a Panasonic TV with component video cables ( the TV is a CT-27D12D), and according to the manuals it should be progressive compatible, but no dice.

I could live with that, since the interlace picture would still be acceptable. But there's the other problem, which is stranger. On every disk I play, on the right side of the screen there is a vertical band about 1/4" wide, and in that band the picture is actually reversed, left to right, from what it should be. Weirdly enough, this band is semi-transparent, and the correct picture plays underneath the reversed picture faintly, so it almost seems as if the picture is too long on the right side and has been folded over on itself. This is *very* distracting, as you can imagine, and now it's all I can see when I watch something on the player. (The TV does not display this band when the image source is my cable box or my VCR, and did not with my last DVD player, making me reasonably sure the fault is not with the TV.)

So my question is, has anyone heard of a problem like this? And if so, was in on this Panasonic model? And finally, if you have heard of this problem, can it be fixed in an authorized repair shop or does it need to be replaced by the manufacturer? I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I'm quite certain, but not 100% so, that this TV is not progressive scan. To the best of my knowledge, Panasonic has never produced a 27" set with progressive scan capability. The other problem sounds like the picture on your set is not correctly centered. Have you had a DVD player connected to this TV before?

3. ScottNyb

ScottNyb Auditioning

Thanks for your reply -- I suspected that the TV was not a progressive scan TV, since that was not specifically touted in the hype that accompanied it, but I was confused by the entry in the DVD player manual that claimed any Panasonic TV with component video inputs would be progressive scan-compatible. As I said, I can definitely live with just the interlace picture, as I didn't even know what progressive scan was when I bought the unit. I bought it to replace a CP52K, which was stolen in a burglary, and I do not remember having the right-side mirror-image problem with that unit when I had it. If the picture isn't centered properly in the set, wouldn't that show up as a problem in the regular TV broadcasts and the VCR video imput as well as the DVD player? And if this is the problem, do you know of a way to adjust the center of the picture?

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I can't remember exactly, but doesn't the CP67 have a screen centering option in it's 'Display' menu somewhere?? I actually have one at home, but I can't remember.

5. ScottNyb

ScottNyb Auditioning

Yes -- I just discovered the "center picture" function last night, and had a rush of hope that it would fix the problem. However, it seems that it only works in the progressive scan mode, which I cannot use. Pressing the move right key doesn't seem to move the picture at all, but I am going to try and play with it some more before I give up and take it to a Panasonic service center.