What's new

Need some help, I'm making my own speaker wire/cables (1 Viewer)

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I've done some extensive searches the past few days, and I've decided to make my own speaker cables/wires. I plan on getting either a 100' spool of Sound King 12 gauge wire or a 100' spool of Liberty Wire 12 gauge.

Now, what I would like to do is put a "nylon braid" over the outer part of the wire to give it a nice finished look. Any ideas on where to get the braid? And, if so, what's the part numbers I should be looking at?

One last thing, I'm either going to finish them with banana plugs or spades. After the nylon braid, what type of heat shrink could I use to put over the white wires, and what's the best way to go about doing that.

Sorry for all the questions. I think this would be a cool/fun DIY. Thanks for your help!

Chris

ArmenK

Stunt Coordinator
sorry im not answering your question but I wanted to let you know about this site that shows you how to make your own interconnects, since i thought you would be interested. Good Luck!

Sanaka

Grip
Practically my favorite website of all time:
McMaster-Carr
For the 'mesh sleeving' try part# 9284K332, but check out all the sizes. You won't have to buy a whole roll like at heatshrink.com
They have tons of different heatshrink tubing too, so again you'll have to peruse, but here's a possible part# 7856K174
The adhesive lined stuff seems like it might stay put better, but i'm no expert.
Good luck!

Sanaka

Grip
Heatshrink.com has pricing for TechFlex by both the foot and the roll.
My bad. I didn't see it I guess.

Anyone know where to get adhesive lined heatshrink in different colors? So far I've only found color choice in non adhesive.

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help! This is definitely what I need!

Also, has anyone had experience with Liberty Wire? I need a 12 gauge wire and was thinking about the Sound King 12 or Liberty Wire 12. Sound King isn't inwall approved, but the Liberty is. Just thought I'd ask again.

Thanks!

Chris

A

Anthony_Gomez

heatshrint.com has all sorts of colored adhesive shrink...though not all are readily availible.

....just email them telling them exactly what you want. They do send out samples too!

Sanaka

Grip
D'OH! I was thinking of cabletiesplus.com

heatshrink.com is way cool! They have the glue-lined heatshrink in colors!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks