What's new

Need some help choosing a receiver, anybody? (1 Viewer)

Rey Acosta

Auditioning
Real Name
Rey Acosta
Hi, I just moved into a new house. Apparently the guy I bought it from had installed 6 in-roof speakers and luckily the guy ran wired the banana plug plates, so I have the wiring portion down.
But I'm having trouble choosing a receiver and in addition wondering if I should get a sub-woofer.
As far as the the receiver, I'm looking for a 4 hdmi port and must have a 3D through compatible for my 3D player. Any suggestions? along with that question is, does it matter how much watts it needs and channels? I tried researching it but I seen some bad opinions like "use the speakers your receiver came with" but I WOULD IF I COULD. I know the price rises as the watts on the receivers rises but I'm kinda stuck here.. and wanted to get this set up asap.
THANKS

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You need a subwoofer, especially with in-ceiling speakers (which are the worst for good sound quality (vocals from the ceiling?). I know you didn't want to hear that but...
Good speakers don't come from receiver manufacturers, they come from speaker manufacturers.
Don't worry about watts per channel unless you have very low efficiency speakers, 84 db or less.
What's your budget?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
6 in-roof speakers
In ceiling? I'm sure in-roof would be a leaky mess when it rained. :D How are they configured? Do you have a location for a traditional center channel? Can you bypass them and set up a traditional 5.1 or 7.1 system?
wondering if I should get a sub-woofer
You need a sub for the home theater experience.
along with that question is, does it matter how much watts it needs and channels?
Wattage is the least important specification of a receiver. You know you need 4 HDMI ports that support 3D. What's your budget?

Rey Acosta

Auditioning
Real Name
Rey Acosta
Robert_J said:
You need a sub for the home theater experience.
alright, haha . I did a little research and some people say to get it but some said their theater system sounds great without it. etc, but thanks for clarifying that with me, appreciate it :D
Wattage is the least important specification of a receiver. You know you need 4 HDMI ports that support 3D. What's your budget?
my budget I'd say below 350.. yeah i know I'm cheap -__________- compared to everyone with their top of the line products.
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES,

Rey Acosta

Auditioning
Real Name
Rey Acosta
Robert_J said:
In ceiling? I'm sure in-roof would be a leaky mess when it rained. :D How are they configured? Do you have a location for a traditional center channel? Can you bypass them and set up a traditional 5.1 or 7.1 system?

sorry about that.. yeah, "in-ceiling" -________- heres some pictures of the set-up now

17a5f747_photo1.jpeg

Thanks ! I was so confused with this wattage stuff.. budget , say below 350.. yeah I know i'm pretty cheap:( just don't have the money for some top of the line setup.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
but some said their theater system sounds great without it
Those people have never heard a proper setup.
I know i'm pretty cheap:( just don't have the money for some top of the line setup.
None of us do. What you might think is top of the line is really middle or lower middle. There are home theaters with systems costing upwards of $1,000,000. I had the opportunity to listen to a pair of $55,000 speakers once. They were powered by $90.000 of amps with a $20,000 record player playing the music.
We don't ever recommend in-ceiling speakers but you have them so we can work with that. Denon, Pioneer and Onkyo all have quality receivers. Getting four HDMI inputs with 3D support will eat up most of your budget. I hope you already have a Blu-ray player. There are a few guys that will suggest looking at last year's close out models. That is what I did and that receiver is still working fine 7 years later. If $350 is your budget, then spend about $250 on that if possible. That will leave $100 for a Dayton sub. What size sub are you looking for? Shoe box size? Moving box size? End table size? I can keep going because they can go up to the size of an industrial refrigerator.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
With in-ceiling speakers I wouldn't even spend $250. Get something like the Denon 1612 refurb from ac4l.com ($169). Then get an even better sub. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html
If you want to by locally then ask if they have any open box receivers under $200. They might just surprise you.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd go with one of the BIC Venturi models or the Dayton - http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?searchFilter=&srchExt=CAT&perPage=25&sortBy=0&layout=list&page=1&srchPrice=5&srchCat=620&srchMfg=&srchPromo=&srchAttr= All others listed there aren't worth the money.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Dayton SUB-1200 is on sale for $99 again ($14.95 sh). At that price you can't beat it with a stick...or a Klipsch, or a Polk, or a ....
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-629

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks