Paradigm speaker selection for 6.1 & 7.1 help needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Williams, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Kelly Williams

Hello,
    Ok the HT bug has got me “AGAIN“. For several years now I have been happy with my Acurus Act III but with Mondials trade in program for the Aragon Stage One just around the corner I’m thinking of pulling the trigger. My current speakers are Paradigm Studio 100’s, CC Center and a Servo-15 sub, no surrounds. Funds got low and with the big debate between direct and bipolar surrounds I just never bought any. The Stage One claims to have bass management for 6.1, 7.1 & DTS, I don’t know if the cross over points are global or can bet set independently yet.
    My question is a old one but I guess more for Paradigm and 6 & 7.1 users, what speakers would you choose for the surrounds?. My room is 16.5 x 23.5 ‘feet’ with a small foyer about 5.5 x 6.5 ‘feet’ for the front door at the back left of the room which makes a nice corner for the left side surround that extends into the room 5.5 ‘feet’ which leaves me with 11 ‘feet’ across the back for the rears. It’s almost like an L shaped room but I can work around it. Would 4 more Studio 100’s be overkill for the information they are receiving? 60’s or 40’s would be less expensive and I could add another Servo-15. I know there are many combinations and would like to hear from anybody that has spent some time with a 6 or 7.1 set up. I will use the system 50/50 HT and 2 Ch listening so I would like to keep my main speakers large.
    What good is a Home Equity line if you ain’t gona use it. [​IMG]

2. FrankB

FrankB Agent

3. Kelly Williams

Frank, thanks for the info! Right now I am leaning toward the Studio 60's they will belend into the room a little easier than the 100's, they are front ported so I could place them closer to the walls if needed and they are not as power hungry as the 100's. I have room for another Servo-15 and I could use the phase control on the X-30 crossover for one of them. Now all I need is a trade in date from Mondial,a 5 ch amp, a new TV, a new DVD player and, and, and, and, and will it ever end! [​IMG]