What's new

Need Review on Energy EXL 15 Speakers? (1 Viewer)

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
Iam thinking about getting 4 Energy EXL15 speakers for front and surrounds and the EXL-C for the center. I have the Energy Take 5 System, should I upgrade to the EXL or stay with the EXL line, any suggestions. Thanks

Han

Second Unit
I think you mean, should you upgrade to the EXL line or stay with the Take 5s.
What's your budget? Do you need to upgrade all five speakers right away?

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
I meant stay with the Take 5 or get the EXL 15's. Iam not worried about budget. I just need a review are they good to get.Are they better than Take 5 system

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
Scott, Have you checked AudioReview.com?
------------------

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I made about the same upgrade a couple of years ago, except I got the EXL-16s for the mains as their tweeters are the same as the one in the EXL-C. I have the 15s for surrounds as they are cheaper and I don't think front-rear timbre matching is as important as front soundstage timbre matching.
I've been quite happy with the results--better lower-midrange and upper bass response. The improvement over the Take-5 is more noticeable on music or non-special effects heavy movies.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Shane Acker

Agent
I have the full set of Take 5's and I too upgraded the LR mains to E:XL-15's earlier this year. I am actually planning on moving the 15's to the rear when I get the 25's. I did notice a big improvement on music. Definitely a lot more punch. I don't think they integrate very well with the Take 5's as far as still using the Take 1 and the Take 2's as rears. Thats why I want the 25's. I like to have some power with the music side of things. I don't think you will go wrong with the 15's but plan ahead for any other future changes. I think having the same size tweeter is very important as far as timbre matching is concearned.
------------------
Shane Acker
My Home Theater EquipmentList

Geordy

Stunt Coordinator
i have 5 e:xl 15s (i use one for center) and i love them.
i love them even more with my new svs 20-39 :)
they are warm with music and sound natural with movies (not too soft, not too bright--i use with a denon receiver)
speakers are very personal--by that i mean what sounds warm to me may sound as crappy as a nelson reunion to you.
audition whatever you buy.
that being said, i bought the take 5.2s for my sis and they sound great as well. i have heard three sets of energy's and they all sound great.
email me with other ?s
geordy
------------------

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Scott, moving from the Take 5s to the Energy e:XL series is a significant upgrade. However, if you can swing it, I would get the e:XL 16s instead of the e:XL 15s. I have the e:XL 16s as my mains and surrounds, the e:XL-C center speaker, and the e:XL-S10 10" subwoofer and am very pleased with the set-up considering the relatively low price. When I was shopping, I found the e:XL speakers to be much better than the Take 5s, especially with music. Also, the e:XL 16s were a step up from the e:XL 15s.
By the way, my parents live outside of Philly, and I bought my Energy set-up at World Wide Stereo in Montgomeryville (Rt. 309). They are a good dealer.
Finally, I don't mean to sound self-serving, but I am offering my e:XL-C center speaker for sale on the Hardware For Sale/Trade board in case you are interested. I am looking to upgrade to the e:XL-C2.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks