What's new

I now know the dark underbelly of HT: upgraditis (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I just completed my first HT not too long ago. Building on Eosone main speakers and Energy eXl:15 surrounds I now have an Onkyo 595, Polk CS400i, a big bad subwoofer, a Panasonic RV31k DVD player, and various interconnects. The problem is that in the immediate future I want some Polk speakers to truly match my center channel. I'm thinking of the Polk RT800i, but I read an initial review of the new LSi series and I'm thinking about that, but then I would need a new center channel. Then I would probably want surrounds to match those. But what if I want to go 6.1 or 7.1? My 595 won't do those and I probably want a better receiver for the new speakers that will make full use of them. I've been reading about the advantages and superiority of seperates. It's neverending! I just got my HT complete and I want a new one that will cost me 5 times as much at the minimum. I will probably end up just getting some RT800i mains to replace my front speakers and calling it quits for the current setup, but I want so much more now. Anyone have $20,000 they can spare to help me set up a top of the line one (without getting insanely expensive stuff)? LOL.

DennisZ

Agent
Allen, and thought you were the only ONE with this
insane sickness. HA! welcome to the group.
Like the song says Hotel California - you can check
in any time you want but you can never leave -
enjoy the insanity we all do
Denny :D :D

Chip E

Screenwriter
I know the feeling.... I picked up an Integra 6.2 today for the bedroom. Of course, the B&W speakers i ordered for the bedroom aren't in yet so, i had to hook up the new Integra to check it out right? :) It's sitting on top of my B&K 307 all connected up in the main HT. *sigh* All this in a room smaller than most sheds! The B&K goes back to Tweeter soon. Going for a 49TX *sigh* Got a MX-500 the other day *sigh i don't want to have to learn buttons! Thats whay i got rid og the Pronto for god sake.
So you see, upgradeitus can take it's toll..hahahaha.. i could go on and on. Oh, and lets not forget the freak'n fact the SuperBowl isn't going to be in high def! Jesus! I was on my damn roof shoveling snow off last year to get the OTA antenna perfect the day of the SuperBowl! Now, a year later, no HD? What gives...

Legairre

Supporting Actor
WOOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOO, yeah now your talkin!!!:D
Like Bruce Willis said in Die Hard "Welcome to the party pal".
Another brave recruit. Your not obsessed. Your DEDICATED.:emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Allen, welcome to our nightmare. :D Just know now that it never stops. Actually, I've been good lately. There is nothing that I am really dying to have right now. I've been focusing more on software lately, which is healthy. :)
I hope to biamp the stereo integrated amp in my main stereo system with a power amp soon. The only other thing I would really like to buy this year from a hardware standpoint is a digital audio server if prices come down. You know, something with a CD deck and a 40-GB hard drive or larger with quality audio output for incorporation into my main stereo system. It must have the capability of burning back to CD-Rs so that I can make mixes for the car (some of the currently available servers allow recording from CDs to the hard drive, but not recording the other way). I want all of this for $500 or less. Maybe by the end of the year?
I've considered other hardware purchases such as a new turntable and an inexpensive DVD-Audio player for my second stereo system, but they aren't priorities. Hopefully I can keep my hardware purchases to a minimum this year. Yeah, O.K. :)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well this year was supposed to only be a TV-upgrade year with other stuff way down the line. here's what i'm getting in August:

36" Wega

new pre/pro or receiver (Marantz, Rotel, or Denon)

5-channel amp (likely Marantz)

a good CD player (Marantz, Rotel, or Rega)

maybe a DAC

good cables

and if i have cash left, some badass B&W speakers

...and right now i'm selling my 25-31PC to get a 16-46CS+ and S1000.

whew that's one hell of a system for a dorm room! i need to work my ass off this summer to support my addiction. this seems more expensive than being addicted to drugs!

KrisM

Second Unit
I found a cure for my upgraditis. Live in an apartment or condo. There is no need for a sub or external amps because I couldn't fully use them due to the neighbours.And no room for a RPTV.
Having said that, I just bought a house yesterday and can already feel a new case of upgraditis catching on.:D I just hope it doesn't get out of control when I move.
KrisM

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Kris,
Like I told allen. "Welcome to the party pal".
It's only a matter of time. Tick, tock, tick, tock.
Congratulation on the new house:emoji_thumbsup:

george king

Supporting Actor
Thomas,

I am on the faculty at TCU, psychology department. How in the world do you fit all of that in the small dorm rooms at TCU?

Brian Vaughan

Stunt Coordinator
KrisM,

Boy do I wish you were right about living in an apartment. Unfortunately, I've suffered from a servere case of upgraditis despite living in a studio apartment in NYC. In the last two years I've gone from a 27"TV, Denon 3300 receiver, crappy Bose Acoustimass speakers, and Yamaha CD CHanger to: 40"HDTV,B&K ref 30, B&K 7250 amp, Cal AUdio CL-10 CD, B&W speakers..and on and on. It's been expensive, but man is it fun!

Cheers, Brian

SamC

Agent
Allen,

I too have the CS400i, and am running it with the RT 800i as front L/R and the RT 600 as Rear L/R. All in all quite a nice sound for the price.

I have read some reviews about them being "murky" etc, but on a nice bright Yamaha RX-V795a they sound fine.

I also auditioned the B&W 600 series, and they were far too harsh and bright for me on the Yamaha.

Just my $0.02, but as everyone here keeps saying, "speakers choices are a personal thing. What one person likes, another will hate."

Good Luck & Happy Upgrading

Sam

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What kind of display are you using??? Take a look at some of the front projection setups various member here have. :)

KrisM

Second Unit
I guess an apartment was not a complete cure because I have upgraded my receiver, speakers and tv the last two years. It was a cure for awhile though because there is nothing that I want right now(other than the amp, sub and bigger screen that I would not get enough bang for the buck from).
But on May 1st, like Legairre said, "tick, tock". I think I'll have to renew my A&B Sound credit card. I think trouble is a brewing.:)
KrisM

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Not one week after announcing that "I'm Done"... I purchased a Pioneer Elite 610 for $4400!!! Of course, then I needed a new rack to sit next to it...ISF calibration...I told my wife that "I'm Done Again" & she just laughed. :)

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
I was very good for almost 2 years. I saved my money and finally bought a home to put the home theater in! Ahhh but then came an evil gift card which I used to buy a Pioneer SD533HD5. Naturally I had to upgrade to a progressive scan JVC dvd player. I pushed the couch farther away from the Pioneer and up against the wall. I couldn't stand those monopoles pointed at mmy ears. The AT170 system arrives this week. But then I found out the HDTV tower may be only a few miles behind my house and Crutchfield had the Panny STB on sale...it should arrive this week too. Now the AMEX card is locked away where I can't get it. :b

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i just got my first ht 3 months ago. now i already want to have a bigger system. that must be because i visit this forum everyday.

i dont smoke, i dont drink, i dont look for prostitutes...

but ht addiction is just as bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks