What's new

Need recommendations for CD players (1 Viewer)

Ryan T

Second Unit
Hi,

I just got my separates system started a while ago. I bought a parasound P/HP-850 pre amp and a HCA-750A power amp. currently i'm running them with an old Harman/Kardon cd changer. I'm wanting to spend $200 to $300 for a used cd player but I don't know if there are any good options in that range. I could also get a transport and a separate DAC (parasound DAC-1100HD) but that would be a bit more than I want to spend unless it will make a significant difference. If anyone has any suggestion or recommendations they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

FeisalK

Screenwriter
it looks like the 541i is just outside of your budget - the 521i would be almost just as good; without the HDCD decoding though

the Rotel 971 is a good piece of kit too

Soumitro Tagore

Auditioning
There's a Sony SCD-CE775 on sale at audiogon for $175. Decent CD plus SACD as a bonus.
If you're interested in changers, the Denon DCM-370 is a good option in that price range.
NAD 541i is supposed to be really good as well. Not so sure about the 521i (I have heard of people having issues with the build quality, although that may be with the 521 and not the 521i)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Ryan,

The NAD 541i is a $500.00 player, so it may be a little out of your price range. You may be able to find a refurb for around $375.00. I would certainly recommend the 541 over the other players mentioned here. I have the NAD 541 and I also have a Sony SCD-C222es SACD changer which is also excellent with CD's, and of course, SACD's. Oade Brothers had them for awhile for $325.00 shipped, but it has been discontinued and is now becoming harder to find. Other things to consider are the Music Hall CD25 and Arcam CD72T. Both of these nicely competes with the NAD 541.

Good Luck,

Reg

Ryan T

Second Unit
SACD would be a really nice bonus to have. For a while I was thinking of getting the Pioneer SACD/DVD-Audio player and using a external DAC for standard cd playback. But that was just too expensive. I think i'll try to get a Sony SCD-C222es if i can. I know the changer mechanism is supposed be kinda loud but my current one is also loud and it doesn't bother me much. The NAD would be nice but i don't really want to spend more than $300.

Thanks,
Ryan

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Ryan,

Definitely go to audiogon.com and try to pick up the SCD-222es. It is excellent with CD's as well as SACD's. When the SCD-C222es was released in Oct 2001, It's msrp was $800 but was dropped to $500.00 a year later. As far as the loud changer goes, the more expensive SCD-C555es changer also suffered from this as well. You do get used to it after a few days though.

Reg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks