What's new

LG C1 in the mail, what Dolby Vision UHD player do you recommend? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_L

Agent
Getting a 4K TV sooner than I thought I would. Thought I would just watch UHD discs on a PS5 at some point, but see that the PS5 doesn't support Dolby Vision, plus they are impossible to get anyway. What UHD player would you all recommend? Oppo is out, I'm not about to spend $5K on eBay for one. I would also rather not spend another $1K+ just for a player, so looking for thoughts and suggestions. I definitely want the UHD player to have Dolby Vision. Thanks.

Jeff_L

Agent
I saw that one, just wanted to be sure that was the way to go. There is a Sony model in the same price range, so wanted to be sure and get some thoughts.

Jeff_L

Agent
Oh, guess I wasn’t looking close enough at the product listing. I guess the only reason the Sony was so pricy is because they modded it for region free play. I’m not that worried about that.

Jeff_L

Agent
I wonder if the current ~$460 Amazon price is because COVID has made prices on everything go to hell?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
There is a Sony model in the same price range, so wanted to be sure and get some thoughts.
The Sony X800-M2 is a good player except for its wonky implementation of Dolby Vision, requiring the user to navigate into the setup menu to turn DV on and off manually. Otherwise, the player outputs to the display with the DV flag in the ON position, even if the disc does not have Dolby Vision.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wonder if the current ~$460 Amazon price is because COVID has made prices on everything go to hell?
Technically it’s a $500 player though it’s often about $450. There have been Black Friday sales for $350-375, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for that this year.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
B&H currently has a 10/10 used return UB820 for $382:

Jeff_L

Agent
Thanks for all the help, suggestions, and feedback everyone. The thing is, if the PS5 did Dolby Vision, I would be fine with just getting that and having it do everything for me. I never had a stand alone DVD player or Blu-Ray player, I used a PS2, PS3, and PS4 all this time. I was never so picky, they played Blu-Rays just fine on my Panasonic plasma. But since Sony has dropped the ball on UHD ever since the PS4 Pro, I guess it is dedicated player time.🤷🏻‍♂️

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If the PS5 does HDR10, I don’t know if I’d sweat it.

Jeff_L

Agent
It does, but what the heck, it would be nice to be able to watch stuff as good as my LG C1 is capable of. If I got a cheaper TV/Samsung, then I wouldn’t sweat it, but since my TV can do it, I want to see it.

Jeff_L

Agent
I think HDR10 is the default on most discs, I think Dolby Vision is usually put on discs where they want to show they put in the extra effort to make it look good.

Jeff_L

Agent
Sorry, doing this on my phone, not sure how to quote a post properly, and can’t delete the duplicate either.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think HDR10 is the default on most discs, I think Dolby Vision is usually put on discs where they want to show they put in the extra effort to make it look good.
HDR10 is the default, but it's a bit limited and only allows for tone mapping every frame in the presentation at the same value. Dolby Vision allows tone mapping each frame individually, which has many advantages if done properly. Of course, it's all in the implementation and how your equipment chain handles things, but in my system (I also have a LG OLED) I've found that DV *usually* looks superior to HDR.

Jeff_L

Agent
I haven’t seen either myself, just drinking the Kool-Aid and assuming DV does look better than HDR10 when both are done correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks