What's new

LG C1 in the mail, what Dolby Vision UHD player do you recommend? (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I haven’t seen either myself, just drinking the Kool-Aid and assuming DV does look better than HDR10 when both are done correctly.
I'll take the contrarian position on this one and say that I prefer HDR10 to Dolby Vision on my Sony OLED. I find the Dolby image a little too dim for my taste. I'm also using a Panasonic player, so maybe I just prefer the way it tone maps the image over Dolby.

Jeff_L

Agent
I'll take the contrarian position on this one and say that I prefer HDR10 to Dolby Vision on my Sony OLED. I find the Dolby image a little too dim for my taste. I'm also using a Panasonic player, so maybe I just prefer the way it tone maps the image over Dolby.
Fair enough.

jmegas

Auditioning
Real Name
James C. Megas
I agree with majority that the Panasonic DP-UB820-K is the most reasonable choice. I think the market is too limited, and that there should be more options, but there really are not. I was extremely fortunate and I ordered a per-release version version of the Oppo UPD-203. If I were to buy one now, I would probably buy the Panasonic DP-UB9000, but the DP-UB820-K is more affordable.

jan goorsky

Agent
I recommend the Sony 700. The beauty of this very reasonable priced player, especially if you get it on sale, is that once you set it to output Dolby Vision, it applies it not only UHD discs but to blu rays as well. I like the effect. If you do not like it, you can always disable it in the player's menu

Jeff_L

Agent
I appreciate everyone’s input, but I am leaning towards just getting by with 4K streams and hoping Sony and/or Microsoft sort out DV on UHD Blu-ray by the time I’m ready to buy one of those systems, which probably won’t happen until holiday 2022. I have seen an LG player at Walmart at a steep discount for only ~$125 that has DV. I am sort of temped to just get that one to get me by, but reviews of its reliability aren’t great, and why piss away $125?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I appreciate everyone’s input, but I am leaning towards just getting by with 4K streams and hoping Sony and/or Microsoft sort out DV on UHD Blu-ray by the time I’m ready to buy one of those systems, which probably won’t happen until holiday 2022. I have seen an LG player at Walmart at a steep discount for only ~$125 that has DV. I am sort of temped to just get that one to get me by, but reviews of its reliability aren’t great, and why piss away $125?
So I guess your desired purchase price was much lower than what I thought it would be in your first post. I know you didn't want to spend a $1000 on a player, but I thought the Panasonic player was your best choice in that regard.

Jeff_L

Agent
Not price is so low per se, it’s just since I KNOW I will wind up with a $500 gaming console at some point, it is a bit painful to bite off another $350-$450 for a player that the $500 gaming console should actually be able to handle if the gaming companies would just get their act together. The only reason I was thinking about that really cheap LG player is so I would have something to get me by until the game console later. Basically, at this point, it feels like I will just wait and hope for the best when it comes to PS5 or Xbox Series X, and by the time I buy one of them, if I have no other choice, I may very well go with the Panasonic, but it will still suck from a financial standpoint, since there probably isn’t any reason one of the new consoles couldn’t do DV also, if they just do the coding and pay the license fee.

Jeff_L

Agent
I should have paid closer attention to your post about always having a gaming console.
Oh, no problem, I have just decided, as excited as I am to get such a nice new TV, I’ll hold off on my want of DV UHD playback, and roll the dice on whether one of the game consoles implements it. If they do, great! No extra expenditure. If they don’t, then I buy what I have to buy at that point, which will probably be the Panasonic.

Jeff_L

Agent
I should have paid closer attention to your post about always having a gaming console.
Looking back at my initial post, I didn’t make it real clear. My complaint was since PS5 didn’t have DV, and was so hard to buy anyway, what is the best player to get right now to watch DV UHD discs. But you are right, I didn’t make it clear in that first post that I would still wind up with a PS5 eventually. Hell, if Xbox Series X winds up being the console that does DV UHD playback, I may skip the Panasonic and have 2 consoles. I’d be willing to spend the bit extra and have an entire gaming system as well as DV UHD playback. $500 PS5 + $500 Series X > than $500 PS5 + $350-$450 Panasonic that only plays movies (for me at least). Ideally, PS5 will be able to do everything I want. I have a PC, so anything coming to Xbox I can just play there. Crap, now I’m thinking why not save a bit of $ and just do the PS5 and Panasonic if PS5 never does DV, because I do have a way to play any Xbox games, play them on my PC. Ah decisions decisions! LOL

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Microsoft has exclusive rights to Dolby Vision on current generation gaming consoles, specifically the current iteration on XBOX. That is why you won't find DV on a PS5.

Jeff_L

Agent
Microsoft has exclusive rights to Dolby Vision on current generation gaming consoles, specifically the current iteration on XBOX. That is why you won't find DV on a PS5.
Is that just DV in games? Or UHD disc playback as well? Timed exclusive? Or for the life of this generation of systems? Do you have a link for that?

Jeff_L

Agent
Just bought the Panasonic DP-UB820-K from B&H. Got some Xmas money, so I figured what the heck, at this rate it could be another year+ until I get a console that can playback UHD discs, and that console may not support DV, so hell with it. Thanks for the advice everyone, hopefully it is as good as everyone says!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks