What's new

Need Receiver Suggestions for my new B&W Setup :) (1 Viewer)

rollininstyle2004

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan Riegelhaupt
I was just at the local B&W dealer today and they were redoing one of their rooms, so I got a full slightly used setup w/ warranty and everything for 40% off. :)

The setup is as follows:

Main: B&W DM604S3
Center: B&W LCR600 S3
Surrounds: B&W DS6
Sub B&W ASW600

The rest of the setup is:
TV: Panasonic TH-58PX600U (58'' Plasma)
DVD: Oppo Digital DV-981HD

The only thing I still need to figure out is the receiver. I would like to spend under $700 if possible, maybe a little more, but ideally below that budget would be great because as im sure all of you know, everyone ends up sending more then they planned :)

I was looking at the Yamaha RX-V1600, RX-V1700, HTR-6090, Onkyo SR674, SR804, Denon 887, 2307, Marantz 4001, 5001. Between those and whatever else you all want to suggest, which would be the best for my setup. Since the TV does 1080p, would some of those receivers not work with it? Sorry for the n00bish questions. I am by no means an Audiophile, I just want something to match well and provide a decent amount of power to the B&Ws. So all help is greatly appreciated.

TIA
-Jordan

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
My Rotel RSX 1056 matches very well with my B & W fronts, surround and center. I have an SVS sub. I believe the 1056 is now replaced with the 1057 which now includes HDMI. Good luck listening.

LewB

Screenwriter
Rotel and B&W go together VERY well. I have the Rotel RSX-972 and B&W speakers. I love it !
Not sure you will be able to touch the Rotel gear new with a $700 budget. I think you will need more like $1K.
Can you go back to the place you got the speakers ? If he had B&W speakers, he MUST have had Rotel equipment. Maybe he's got something he can make you a deal on.

rollininstyle2004

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan Riegelhaupt
Yea...the Rotel is more then I want to spend...of the ones listed above what would be the best bang for the buck for my setup?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would look toward the Denon 1707 or 2307, possibly keeping to the lower priced one with the plan of adding a nice powerful 3 channel amp to power the fronts in the near future.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Check out some of the Harman Kardon offerings too. Right now all items at http://www.harmanaudio.com/ have free shipping until April 16th as they go over their inventory. Might be a good time to grab an AVR 635 (if you don't need HDMI switching, which looks like you don't).

One of the nice things about HK is their amp section - very clean. It should be able to drive the B&W's with no problem. Only thing is they are space heaters, so if you plan on keeping it inside a closed cabinet, I'd consider another brand.

rollininstyle2004

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan Riegelhaupt
HDMI Switching would just be if I had more than 1 input correct? So since I only have the DVD player I dont need it?

MikeNg

Second Unit
Yes, Jordan. If all we're looking at is the DVD player (for the next forseeable future, or as long as you plan to keep the AVR) then you don't need to get one that can do HDMI switching. It's a wasted feature for you.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Always think to the future, but keep in mind that hdmi is still evolving, so even if you got one with hdmi switching now, it probably wouldn't suit your needs in a few years. So, I wouldn't make it a requrement, but a minor plus if it was available.

Component video conversion is something you proabaly should get though.

DavidUL

Agent
I would save some money than and look at the rotel 1057 .. i have 603's my self and a 600 center. I was able to audition them prior to purchase with a pioneer elite, denon , and the rotel , the SQ from the rotel was giving off a much more nicer image and in my opionion more warmth to music, not to mention movies sounded great as well.

DavidUL

Agent
I would save some money than and look at the rotel 1057 .. i have 603's my self and a 600 center. I was able to audition them prior to purchase with a pioneer elite, denon , and the rotel , the SQ from the rotel was giving off a much more nicer image and in my opionion more warmth to music, not to mention movies sounded great as well.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I'll echo the recommendation to save up for the Rotel 1057. I have a 7xB&W 600 S3 set-up (and a B&W Sub) with a Rotel 1067 and just love the sound and performance. Just for fun, I once switched in my Yamaha RX-V540 receiver just to compare the difference, if any, it would have with the Rotel. Lets just say I quickly stopped the experiment after testing 2 movies and a couple of audio CD's. No comparison, the Rotel was by far richer and produces a more complete and enveloping sound field.

My $0.02 worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks