1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

5.1.4 ATMOS Speaker setup - B&W CM8 S2, CCM662, CCM684

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by valentins, Dec 2, 2017.

1. valentins

valentins Auditioning

Valentins Mucenieks
    Newbie here..

Currently working on a 5.1.4 ATMOS setup and would appreciate any comments/suggestions regarding the speaker choice and placement.

Working with:
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Sub - BK P12-300SB-DF
    Fronts - B&W CM8 S2

Centre - B&W CCM 7.4
    Rear Surrounds - 2 x B&W CCM662
    Atmos- 4 x B&W CCM684

Only fronts and sub will be floor standing. The rest have to be ceiling mounted.

Is the ceiling mounted speaker placement optimal for this layout?
    Many thanks for any comments.

Attached Files:

2. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
  3. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    I got 2 really good links on another forum.
    It is alot more informative then the Dolby website.
    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-specifications.pdf
    Check them both out, I found them to be very informative and full of real info on bandwith.
    I tried to get info from the website and never got an answer. From what I now understand ALL the speakers should be the same. Hope this helps.
    At least the same brand and sonic characteristics, and timbre.
    I have 5 the same and the height speakers are smaller, I didn't realize the height had full range signals. I really heard a large improvement when I put my center channel tweeter and midrange at the same exact height as my fronts and surrounds.
    I am using 5.1.4 right now.
    4 ADS L1290/2s rebuilt by Rich So. Drivers and crossovers. He is from the old factory in MA. I purchased drivers and a crossover for a center channel to match but had to copy the box on his website since the factory no longer exists. Using smaller ADS L300s for height speakers. Same timbre and tweeter, but much less bass. I didn't know the bandwith at the time.
    Using HSU VTF-3 MK 4 powered sub.
    ADS in quite ineffecient so I got a large amp and with the low impedance nominal 4 ohms and sometimes less I chose an Anthem P5 Statement. It has high current capabilities and is stable down to less than 1 ohm. Using 2 refurbished Nikko Alpha 440s to power the small L300s. 240 watts so plenty of headroom and can go to bigger speakers.
    Preamp is an Anthem AV60 and the room correction is killer. REALLY works.
    I can either mount the small speakers on wall or ceiling and the brackets can be aimed at seating position.
    You should try to get the 5 mains at least tweeters at ear level when seated. At least the same plane. The height speakers you should put on the ceiling. Some times you may have to comprimise. I destroyed my entertainment center in order to get my center channel at the proper height and the wife was not too happy when she came home one day from shopping. LOL. My house is a war zone I am remodeling and everything is temporary, new grandaughter and daughter now living home as well.
    Good luck with your system, and remember Rome wasn't built in a day. just keep plugging away and you will get there. By the way B&W are killer speakers. Love your system already.

Attached Files: