What's new

Need preamp advice.... (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, I am looking to go the separates route, and need some advice. I am currently looking at the Crown XLS series power amps, and need some advice for a decent but affordable preamp. I am not really concerned about a radio tuner, but phono would be nice. My budget is around $500 The amp, I believe, has balanced ins/outs and would like to go this route. Any suggestions?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That's going to be pretty tough. The least expensive preamp I can think of that has XLR outputs is the Outlaw 990, but that's double your budget. I think your best bet would be to get a $500 receiver (perhaps Denon, HK, or Yamaha) that has preouts. They'll be RCA outputs, but I can't think of a preamp in your price range with XLRs.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Gonna be tough to find. Unless your looking for a 2 channel pre. Audiogon might be your best bet.

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, maybe I won't do xlr. What about a clean sounding consumer grade preamp? I am assuming the Crown amp will be rather clean sounding vs. the a/v receivers. If you don't agree, what receiver would you recommend? I have heard good things about the Pioneer 1014, but I am just not happy with the mid priced receivers.

Alan M

Second Unit
I use the Crown xls 402 to power my mains.You could always spend an extra $50 and buy an "Art Cleanbox".This will allow you to go from xlr to rca cords( or reverse) and has the added bonus of reducing any hum.BTW,it also allows you to adjust the consumer-10 dbs to a pro +4db

SethH

Senior HTF Member
There are some good pre-amps on Ebay right now. I found an Adcom and a Marantz under $600 (Buy It Now). I think your best bet is to check out Ebay and Audiogon to find a good preamp in your price range.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Always nice to see someone not looking for a receiver.
Please check out the Outlaw products. I did and am very happy about it. My previous preamp was from Madrigal.
Have a garage sale, knock over a liquor store, do whatever you need to do to up that budget.

I was just joshing about the armed robbery.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks