What's new

Need opinions... (1 Viewer)

Dan Cabral

Stunt Coordinator
I'm curious as to what the preferred speaker setup is for 6.1.

Traditionally, I always thought that one should use floor standing mains with a matching center, along with either 2 small satellites or bookshelves for the surrounds.

However, I've been seeing an increasing trend to use matching or equivalent floor standing speakers for the surrounds.
My current speaker setup is Klipsch KLF-10's as the mains with a KLF-C7 in the center, with my oldie-but-goodie Infinity SM-165 bookshelves as the surround satellites.

My other option is to go with a setup where the entire stage is matching, by acquiring a pair of KLF-30's (I have a line on a deal), which would still match perfectly with the KLF-C7, and use the KLF-10's as the surrounds, and getting rid of the Infinitys.

Either way, the only remaining dilema I'm faced with is finding a decent center for the rear, if I decide to go 6.1. I have a Newcastle R-956 6.1 AVR, but my newly acquired Parasound HCA-2205A is 5.1, so I'll have to decide what to do there.

I've had a few people lately extoll the virtues of an all-matching setup. I'm just concerned that such a setup would be overkill.

Any thoughts?

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Dan,

I have Klipsch towers in my setup.

Mains KLF-20
Center RC-7
Surrounds RF-3's
Rear RC-3

I just installed an amp myself this last weekend and will expand to 7.1. To do this I will purchase the RF-7's and move everthing down and eliminate the RC-3.

Wow...I just like the tower speakers as a more full range than true surrounds can give. Sounds like you will have plenty of power to fully utilize tower speakers. IMO I would get the KLF-30's and give them a try if space allows.

I also listen to music in all channel stereo and the towers are simply great for that.

AS far as the rear goes you could get another KLF-C7 or a RC-3, but you may want to audition the RC-7 for a new center (would match better with the KLF-30's) and place your KLF-C7 at the rear.

Good Luck!

Dan Cabral

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,
Thanks for the input. The Infinity speakers are surprisingly rich in sound despite their size. The amount of bass they can pump out is not indicitive of their 6" woofers, and they handle the highs with a lot of clarity.

I will be listening to a fair amount of DVD-A, so I have a feeling I would see a benefit from the added depth of towers as the rears. I'm just wondering if the benefit I'll see even comes close to the price premium.

The KLF-30's are going to run about $850 for the pair, while I already have the KLF-10's and the Infinity SM-165's. The real question in my mind is, am I going to see enough of an improvement over the KLF-10's as the mains by going to the KLF-30, and then are the KLF-10's going to make enough of a difference over the Infinity's to warrant the extra cost?

Also, I'm kinda surprised to hear you say that the RC-7 would be a better match for the KLF-30's than the KLF-C7. From all indications I've seen or heard, the KLF-C7 is supposed to be a perfect match for any of the KLF mains. I was actually afraid that it might be too much for the KLF-10's, but not the KLF-30's.

However, if I do go for another center channel speaker, I don't know if I'd go for the RC-7, just because of the price, since Ubid has been auctioning off KLF-C7's dirt cheap (relatively speaking) for months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks