What's new

Need opinions on this player (1 Viewer)

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
What do you guys think of this DVD player??? It would really be major convenience, since I'd be able to get rid of my old cd player and DVD player...not to mention free up space that all my cases are taking up. But should I bother since, right now, I don't have an HDTV ready TV?? Also, is there a better place (read: cheaper) than Cruchfield to buy it? What's up with the Faroudja's deinterlacer??? Is it a gimmick, or will I actually be able to see a difference on my 36" Mits.?? Thanks, Andrew.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, the Kenwood DV-5900M looks a nice piece of kit. Many people have spoken highly of the Faroudja deinterlacer, but I can't comment on it from firsthand experience. Maybe others here can. Frankly, I have read little positive or negative about this player or Kenwood's DV-5700 progressive-scan DVD-Audio carousel changer.

As for a better price on the '5900M, Kenwood is restricting the distribution of its Sovereign line, so finding discounts from authorized dealers is difficult. The only authorized Sovereign dealers are brick-and-mortar stores and Crutchfield. Unfortunately, authorized discount mail-order dealers like Oade Bros. and J&R Music World don't sell Sovereign components. OneCall advertises Sovereign components on its web site, but the site says "Retail Sales Only", which means that they only sell the components through their Huppin's store in Washington state. As a result of all of this, I doubt you will find significant discounts on Sovereign components from authorized dealers. Some brick-and-mortar dealers will offer some sort of discount (maybe 10%), but Crutchfield doesn't budge on price.

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Keith....guess that's why I haven't been able to find it for a better price :frowning:...I just don't want to waste that kind of money if the Farodja chip is a gimmick..can't find any reviews on this player either.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, glad to help. I understand your frustration. I am a bit surprised by how little I've heard about any of the Sovereign components. It seems as though few people own them. I think part of the problem is name recognition. Kenwood is generally associated with mass-market electronics, and it could take time for that stigma to be lifted in the case of the Sovereign line. Kenwood simply isn't thought of in the same category as Sony ES, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, etc., for the most part.

I think Kenwood's way of marketing the Sovereign line is sort of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, not having the large, discount mail-order dealers like OneCall and J&R sell the line gives an air of prestige. However, as a new line, Kenwood could have the large dealers offer it at discounts to get the products into more people's hands and, hence, establish the product. I don't think many people are ready to plunk down full price for Sovereign products at brick-and-mortar stores when they can buy Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, Denon, Marantz, Integra, and other more established brands. Just my $0.02.

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, with that being said, can you think of any other progressive scan mega changers?? I agree that Kenwood isn't considered a 'top of the line' name...that's why I'm so hesitant. All my other gear brands(Yamaha & Toshiba) just don't offer what the Kenwood does (prog. scan and dvd-audio) in ONE unit....well..guess I'll keep pondering and searching..
Thanks again.:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, I don't know of any other progressive-scan DVD megachangers. Pioneer's DV-F727 and Elite DV-F07 interlaced megachangers are getting long in the tooth (two years old), so maybe they will be replaced by progressive-scan models in 2002. Note that I haven't heard anything to that effect, but the current models are due to be replaced. Also, Sony dropped the prices on its DVP-CX860 and 'CX870D interlaced megachangers that were released last year, so maybe they are being phased out in favor of new models. Again, I haven't heard anything about new models there either. It would be interesting to see Sony release a progressive-scan megachanger with SACD, but I've heard nothing about SACD megachangers with or without DVD playback capability. In any event, the CES is coming in January, so maybe some progressive-scan megachangers will be announced then. Hang in there.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
We looked at the Kenwood 5700 in our shootout this summer, and it performed pretty well.

Downside, both the 5700 and 5900 are very slow to change discs (about 45 seconds for the 5700, don't know on the 5900). In all fairness, this isn't much slower than it takes to change the disc by yourself manually when you factor in the get up and sit down time.

I am getting very frustrated by the use of the word gimmick. It seems everyone thinks everything is a gimmick

If being (possibly) the best deinterlacing solution available at this time is a gimmick then yeah it's a gimmick.

If drastically improving the quality of video mode playback is a gimmick, then yeah it's a gimmick.

God forbid, someone should actually release a product which lives up to its specifications.

Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
We looked at the Kenwood 5700 in our shootout this summer, and it performed pretty well.

Downside, both the 5700 and 5900 are very slow to change discs (about 45 seconds for the 5700, don't know on the 5900). In all fairness, this isn't much slower than it takes to change the disc by yourself manually when you factor in the get up and sit down time.

{Rant}

I am getting very frustrated by the use of the word gimmick. It seems everyone thinks everything is a gimmick

If being (possibly) the best deinterlacing solution available at this time is a gimmick then yeah it's a gimmick.

If drastically improving the quality of video mode playback is a gimmick, then yeah it's a gimmick.

God forbid, someone should actually release a product which lives up to its specifications.

{/Rant off}

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I understand your frustration. There are some people out there who would rather label SACD as a gimmick than use their ears to realize that it is a better format than CD. These people are convinced that the only reason Sony and Philips came up with the SACD was to make money since their patents on the CD format were running out. Certainly Sony and Philips are just putting one over on us. :rolleyes

AndrewW

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John...and sorry, didn't mean to piss you off. I just didn't want to pay for something that wasn't what it is suppose to be. I think I'll get it and return it if if I don't like it. I 'm glad you found it worthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks