What's new

Need new HD TV and Blu Ray player (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Richard V said:
I don't know if this PC magazine article has any hard data, perhaps just subjective analysis, but the reviewer shares my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387377,00.asp
Not convinced by the reviewers, are they measuring correctly, some LED backlit televisions switch off their LED's when displaying a black image and calibration screens, good reviews take this into account and re-measure to get the real figure, also LCD televisions, no matter the price, do still suffer from inferior motion, without any of the motion enhancement features switched on i bet you get between 300 and 400 lines of motion resolution, a 2013 plasma from Samsung and Panasonic gives you the full 1080 lines, let's talk off axis viewing, once again plasma is superior, dirty screen effect, once again plasma wins.

Being thin and energy efficient is not as important to me as overall image quality, that Sharp Elite is probably a great LCD set but look at it's cost, i could buy a very good projector and an excellent plasma for the same cost as one Sharp Elite television of the same size and i'll get a better image too.

Here's a good review site which explains what i mean with LED's switching off and those figures at the other site, different television but same principle, you also get a good explanation of the motion technologies which often cause the soap opera effect on LCD TV's.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl55w905a-201305172987.htm?page=Performance

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Several things that reviewer thought were significant advantages really aren't, Whether a TV is 0.5" or 1.5" thick is meaningless to me. Same thing with weight and power consumption; unless it has an impact on installation, I don't care. Those may be purchase issues for some people, but they have nothing to do with picture quality.

The black level achieved by the Sammy is impressive, but as FM noted, it was probably with the back-lighting completely off, which is not how you're going to be watching it in real life or how most independent labs do their testing, IIRC. The one real advantage of LCD that I do agree with is brightness. LCD absolutely does have an advantage there and I do recommend LCDs to people who have bright rooms and limited light control.

But there is one area where LCD is indisputably inferior and the review you referenced didn't even mention it: Motion Artifacts. Put any LCD, and I do mean ANY, next to almost any plasma of the same size and show live sports. The difference is so blatantly obvious that no measurements are needed. LCDs, regardless of the signal processing used to counteract it, will show clear and obvious motion artifacts that cannot be seen on plasmas displaying the exact same content.

I'm not saying there are no motion artifacts in plasma, there are; but the difference is several orders of magnitude and TTBOMK, is less than any other current display technology. That alone makes plasma the superior technology, IMO.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Type A said:
No Im pretty sure DLP is the best at motion Dan, but plasma is second.
It certainly is the best with projection setups, we don't get DLP television sets in the UK.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Generally, I am quite happy with the LCD / LED sets that I own. (6 at present).

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I understand the arguments listed above, but I see absolutely no motion artifacts on my LED Sammy. I watched the 49'ers/Vikings game on Sunday night and made a special effort to notice any motion artifacts, flickering, etc and saw none. The picture was sharp, clear, smooth, no blurring, etc. Looked great to my eye. FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks