What's new

Need math help!! Simple problem! (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
OK I'm a freshman in college and it's been a while since I've done this so I'm rusty! The problem is: x^2-1/2x-4. Thanks for the help!

Van Patton

Second Unit
Um........Well it stemmed from this. Here is the original equation.

Given that f(x)=x^2-1 and g(x)=2x-4, find each of the following, if it exists.

(f/g)(x)=

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i think it may be asking you to plug in, for every value of x in f(x), g(x). im not sure though, confused by how it is written. but if that is the case, you have (f/g)(x)=[(2x-4)^2]-1. just pretend that g(x), also 2x-4, is x in the f(x) equation, and plug it in, as i did above. you may be asking for something else entirely though :)

CJ

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
(f/g)(x)=

This is f divided by g. There is nothing else to do other than what you already wrote, x^2-1/2x-4, unless you want to attempt long division. I don't see why though.

Also, DYOFHW. I'll let you figure that one out.

--
H

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just curious, do you think you will learn to do calculus by having someone else figure out the answers for you?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Sorry, but this is a calculus question. It is not as simple as dividing the top by the bottom. It could be a case of substituting g(x) into f(x), but it could also be question that uses f' and g'.

like f/g(x)= f(g'(x)) + f'(g(x)/g(x)^2

I'm not sure if that equation is totally correct. I don't have my calculus text available, and even though I took the course I didn't do too well. I would actually have to look it up and see if it correlates.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The best i could do dividng F by G is reducing it by factoring the numerator...

I think its more complicated than that...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
What makes you infer such things from the simple, if perhaps erronous statement f/g(x)?

That's what I don't understand. How does someone start thinking of derivatives, with something like f/g(x)?!

--
H

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
What would really be helpful is the entire text of the equation, as well as an idea of what topic this deals with.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Ah, yes, I vaguely remember now. You might be correct. It could be a substitution problem too, though. Damn, I wish I had my text book and notes here. Now it is going to bother me. I agree with your other comment though.......DYOFHW. :)

Edit: I should add, wouldn't that require a limit to be implied? God....I can't believe I only took this stuff a little while ago and I'm already having trouble remembering how it went.

Van Patton

Second Unit
Its not hard.......you just divide what I gave you the first time and that is our answer. It is SO easy and all you all are just making it much more harder than it needs to be.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The college math lecturer (me) should probably step in here. Edwin, the rule you were thinking of is the quotient rule for derivatives. It allows you find the derivative of a function that has the form f(x)/g(x), where the / stands for division (as it usually does). That rule can be expressed this way:

[f(x)/g(x)]' = [f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x)]/g(x)^2

However, the original question:

does not appear to involve taking any derivatives. It's most likely just looking for f(x) divided by g(x). A similar notation can be used for other ways of combining functions:

(f+g)(x) = f(x) + g(x)
(f-g)(x) = f(x) - g(x)
(fg)(x) = f(x)g(x)

Lastly, I second (or third) Holadem's advice, DYOFHW. Ask for help, OK, but don't expect someone else to just do the problem.

Van Patton

Second Unit
Look I did four out of five of the same problems just like this! So far NO ONE has helped me. I could've reiterated the babble that has come out of everyones mouths so far. Please help me divide that or dont post anything.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes. Thank you, Haggai. I finally decided to use this wonderful thing called the internet and actually look up the notation and see if I was making a complete hash of it. Sure enough I was.

I have always wanted to pass calculus and have yet to do so. I've taken the bloody 1st year course twice, but I just can't seem to get my head around it. With your explanation some of it started to come back a bit.

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
If you're going to ask people to DYFHW, you could at least be polite...

Its already in its simplest form. You might want to double check the question.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes. I factored it, and it doesn't seem to be able to be simplified beyond the original form.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
As it was written here, it would factor as:

[(x+1)(x-1)] / [2(x-2)]

No other simplifying possible from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks