What's new

Need last minute veneer tips for my Pi speakers. (1 Viewer)

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor

Yes, scratches are hard to repair. The poly, when sanded, turns white and it's almost impossible to feather back in. The good news is it's very durable.

To fix what you've got, wait till it's completely dry and flat sand with a block. Sand until all the surface is flat again. Wipe down with naptha and a rag and start applying with a rag for a flat finish. A lot of work but you won't have to wipe on many coats to get a build.

Pete

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
I used poly on a few pieces of furniture until started using tung oil,which in my opinion, is the best to use!(used on about 30-40 pieces of furniture)
I ran into the bad poly finish, so I sanded lightly with #0000(?)(the finest one anyways) steel wool and applied minwax and buffed before it dried thoroughly, it turned out great!
Your cabinets look great!:emoji_thumbsup:

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Thanks Pete,
I went ahead and bought some wipe on poly and some naptha, I sanded down the first till smooth like you suggested then I wiped on 3 coats of poly with a light sanding after the first two coats, after the third coat I wiped them down with naptha and sprayed on 3 light coats of the same Minwax poly but in a spray can. That did the trick, they are not perfect but very nice and natural looking. Now I just have to wait until the boxes are set up so I can start putting in the parts.

I will certainly not use Poly on my next veneer project, it was a real pain.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Yea, I'm not a fan of poly myself. Lacquer is the real deal, but you really need spray equipment to do it right.

Glad to hear it worked out OK for you. I always forget about the spray on polys.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks