What's new

UHD Need James Bond Movies on UHD Disc! (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
To put the iTunes / UHD Blu-ray discussion on the big screen so to say here is an interesting post on the DCI forum, number 153:

http://dci-forum.com/d-cinema-hi-en...sidential-laser-projector-best-world/1710/143

This is a picture taken off the screen, the picture is thrown by a ca. 300k 4k 3-chip DLP porjector that is about as good as it gets save for absolute black level, this is on a 23ft / 7m screen.

Both pictures preferably should be downloaded and then one can switch between the two pictures. In my experience from watching on a smaller screen the difference is visible but smaller than some may want to think and the difference maybe is a bit bigger in motion but not by much.

As Wolfgang points out seating distance is critical and in my experience to better appreciate these differences seating would have to be about 1 screen width away and most people will go for something closer to 2 screen widths or above with a normal TV so in most cases streaming if done well will be good enough, whether we like it or not.

DalekFlay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dane M.
Sorry. Disagree again.

Fair enough you disagree, fair enough I disagree. Your insanely fast internet might be a factor, very few people have anything close to that. However I'd assume Apple can only send so much data, so it could just all come down to eyesight, equipment, seating distance, taste, etc. I use studio headphones which tend to make sound differences more obvious. I also sit super close to the screen. I dunno.

Even if streams looked roughly identical I would still stick to discs for two reasons: 1) You actually own them, and no one can take them away or modify them against your will. When I read about music changes to titles like Spaceballs and titles like Terminator 2 being upgraded to DNR'd transfers it makes me happy I own the discs. 2) Rights issues. There are things I can only own with a region-free player like StudioCanal's recent John Carpenter 4k HDR remasters or a lot of Arrow Video's remasters. There's no getting around licensing issues with streaming.

But everyone must of course make their own decision based on what works for them.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Bond has moved onto Amazon Prime. Watching Never Say never again. All the films are in 4K NSNA is 4K but not HDR still on my Apple TV it looks better than the movie looked on blu ray, although probably not up to disk standard. Still perfectly acceptable

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Bond has moved onto Amazon Prime. Watching Never Say never again. All the films are in 4K NSNA is 4K but not HDR still on my Apple TV it looks better than the movie looked on blu ray, although probably not up to disk standard. Still perfectly acceptable
None of them are in HDR. Furthermore with Amazon's dynamic VBR, you might be watching in 1080 without knowing.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I commented on the other thread about the prime 4k versions.

I’m hoping all of these are issued in April with the new 007 film.

I bought the Craig UHd Blu Ray set but haven’t watched it yet! I’m not a fan of the Craig ones but purchased the set to support future 007 UHd releases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, I told myself I would never fork out the money to buy another Bond set again. I have done so for every single home video format to date.

However, what I did do instead was buy the digital versions. Before Christmas, iTunes put the entire series on sale for $99.

If these were released to disc, it would probably cost at least twice as much.

This afternoon I started watching the entire series in order, starting of course with DR. NO.

I was completely stunned at how gorgeous this film looks in 4k. In fact, stunning is not even a strong enough word to describe the transfer. It is just off the charts in beautiful Technicolor.

I have no doubt that I made the right decision buying these digitally. In addition, it seems all the releases have the extras that were on the previous Bond sets, though I can't yet compare them side-by-side.

In addition to the Bond films, I am going to start buying digital copies of all the never-to-be-released Paramount films of the 60s-80s. I believe most all of them are available on iTunes in HD.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
So, I told myself I would never fork out the money to buy another Bond set again. I have done so for every single home video format to date.

However, what I did do instead was buy the digital versions. Before Christmas, iTunes put the entire series on sale for $99.

This afternoon I started watching the entire series in order, starting of course with DR. NO.

I was completely stunned at how gorgeous this film looks in 4k. In fact, stunning is not even a strong enough word to describe the transfer. It is just off the charts in beautiful Technicolor.

I have no doubt that I made the right decision buying these digitally. In addition, it seems all the releases have the extras that were on the previous Bond sets, though I can't yet compare them side-by-side.

In addition to the Bond films, I am going to start buying digital copies of all the never-to-be-released Paramount films of the 60s-80s. I believe most all of them are available on iTunes in HD.

Great work!
I was able to sample many of them in prime in 4K. I have never seen them look this good!
They just left prime which is unfortunate.

I am hoping all of the films In UHd Blu Ray will be out in April with the new film. We will see though. These are essential films for me and I watch them often.
If not I may end up going the Apple TV 4K route as well.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK

The Paramount 1950's and Vistavision movies is what I want to see released on Bluray. Two movies that I Love from 1960 I want upgraded are ....The World of Suzie Wong, and It Started in Naples !

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Great work!
I was able to sample many of them in prime in 4K. I have never seen them look this good!
They just left prime which is unfortunate.

I am hoping all of the films In UHd Blu Ray will be out in April with the new film. We will see though. These are essential films for me and I watch them often.
If not I may end up going the Apple TV 4K route as well.
I watched them also. They looked Excellent ! I hope they get released on 4K UHD Disc this year. Also the original Star Wars Trilogy 1977-1983. I watched on Disney+ Excellent also. These are my Most wanted 4K Upgrades for 2020 !

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I watched them also. They looked Excellent ! I hope they get released on 4K UHD Disc this year. Also the original Star Wars Trilogy 1977-1983. I watched on Disney+ Excellent also. These are my Most wanted 4K Upgrades for 2020 !

i want Star Wars as well. That $250 price tag is unreal....
Ill keep
Saving and see what happens

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It’s possible an announcement for the 007 titles may be a short 30 days from announcing to release?

I noticed other catalog titles have done this.

hoping anyway that they are coming with the new bond film

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks