What's new

Need input for a new reciever (1 Viewer)

KevinST

Stunt Coordinator
I am using an "old" Onkyo SR-800 that I have had for about 4 years. The center channel output on it died, so it is time to upgrade.

I want
7.1 channel
at least 2 HDMI in and 1 out
THX and DTS if possible, if not, must have THX

Here is what I have at home.
JVC HD-ILA tv
SONY DVP-CX995V 400 DISC DVD CHANGER
Klipsch Synergy speakers with reference series sub
mono vcr :)
digital cable box with HDMI

Thanks in advance, it has just been so long since I have looked into this stuff that I am not sure on alot of it any more.

Kevin

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The Onkyo TX-SR803 is a pretty good deal.

The Denon AVR-2807 is a better receiver, but lacks THX certification. I don't feel to strongly about THX certification because it doesn't really mean that much. Companies pay extra money for this badge so they can mark up the price. An excellent example of a great company that doesn't have the THX certified products and they blow most stuff away, Krell. THX is sort of helpful, but more or less gimmicky like Monster Cable and Bose. It is almost exclusively a marketing ploy.

Seth=L

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What is your budget?

I agree with Seth, searching only for THX receivers is very limiting and yields you very little or nothing at all.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
The only thing semi-useful that a "THX" receiver gives you is their cinema processing enhancements. A properly designed system with a well laid-out room shouldn't have to rely on electronic enhancements to sound good.

What's your budget?

eddieZEN

Second Unit
max budget, room size, % HT/gaming/TV to music use?

I agree with the other posters on the mostly superfluous and gimmicky nature of "THX"

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Not to mention that if you are referring to things like RE-EQ, those are available elsewhere as well. And as you mention too, not really necessary in proper rooms.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The EZSet/EQ on my H/K 435 made a huge difference in the sound quality of my much less than "proper" room. Really improved the sound stage/stereo separation and smoothed out the mid-range of my Polk RTi's. Thought I might need to start looking at other speakers but now I don't need to. I agree that perfectly matched equipment in an acoustically sound room would probably require little, if any, enhancements (including Bass/treble adjustments), but with thousands of possible avr/speaker combinations to choose from and installed in rooms that are designed and used as front rooms, family rooms, bedrooms, great rooms and who knows what else, I think they can be useful to many of us. I also think DTS is a must, not THX. Sorry George.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
duuuuuh!!! who is George? I can't believe I had to think about it. I actually went to the top of the thread to see who started it before I realized which George you were refering too. Silly me. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks