What's new

Budget 5.1 speaker/reciever/HTiB advice (1 Viewer)

r00li

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrej
Hi!For the past two years I've been using Genius SW-HF5.1 5050v2 speaker system in my room (connected to my HTPC/projector). But I am starting to get really annoyed by them. Not the actual speakers but the control unit in those speakers. It randomly starts doing weird things with the woofer (hissing, interrupting, ...) that can only be stopped by resetting the speakers (pulling the power cord out). And I hate the lack of digital/optical input.I've also recently bought a TV that I use for gaming and day-time movie watching. So I want to use my new speaker system with both the TV/gaming consoles and my HTPC. Since all receivers have plenty of input/outputs that really shouldn't be a problem at all.Now for the actual problem. What to buy?I've been looking at the Pioneer HTP-072 5.1 system:HTP-072 - High Power 5.1 AV Receiver with 5.1 Speaker Package | Pioneer Electronics USAI can get this one for 299€ which seems like a pretty reasonable price. What I don't like are the speakers. They seem tiny and cheap - worse than the big wooden ones from Genius that I currently have.Another option is buying a separate receiver like:VSX-423-K 5.1 Channel AV Receiver with 4x HDMI, HD Audio, MCACC speaker setup and Ultra HD 4K Pass Through - Pioneer Amplifier, AV ReceiverorVSX-323-K 5.1-channel HDMI 3D AV Receiver with ARC, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and Ultra HD 4K Pass Through - Pioneer Amplifier, AV ReceiverAnd of course using my current speakers (according to the specs they consist of: "20W RMS - 4” full 8ohm range, 1” 8ohm Dome tweeter"). The problem? Woofer. It is currently integrated into the control box - apparently it's a 50W (RMS) 6.5” 6ohm woofer. So not something too powerful. Of course I could just desolder the wires and connect it to something... All of these recievers have pre-amp out but not a direct woofer out. Can these two receivers handle those speakers? I'm guessing yes. What about the Woofer? Is there any chance of connecting it without the need for an external amplifier?And the third option (probably shouldn't even mention that). A Blu-Ray home cinema thing with an optical input and a set of speakers like this: HTB3510/12 Philips 5.1 Home theater HTB3510 3D Blu-ray Smart TV - Philips Support
I really am not too fond of that because of probably very low quality sound.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You are confusing speaker terminals with pre-out.Nowhere near the same thing.It would help to show us pics of these speakers(with their wire/connects).You might be able to use the whole thing.Have no idea where this even comes from..."All of these receivers have pre-amp out but not a direct woofer out"That statement is totally backwards to low-end AVR.

r00li

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrej
I don't think that I am confusing anything. Maybe there is some misunderstanding somewhere.

My speakers have standard "speaker crimp" terminals. And this is the back side of the woofer/control unit:
9061l.jpg

When I asked if I could connect the woofer to an AV receiver I meant this: dismantle the actual woofer and connect the actual woofer speaker wire directly to the receiver.

And I don't think that there is anything wrong with that statement. Both of those receivers that I linked have (clearly labeled) "Woofer pre-out". And they don't have any other woofer outputs that I can see.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You can connect the subwoofer pre-out directly to that woofer. You'll just not connect any of the other analog.Essentially, AVR pre-out to the middle red RCA on the control box marked..."sub". Done.I thought there would be 10 seconds of confusion needing RCA to 1/8, and there isn't even that.

r00li

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrej
I went shopping around the local stores and I couldn't find any cheap Receivers. So I simply bought the HTP-072. I think it's the best because I have another set of those Genius speakers (with a broken control unit) somewhere so I can use my old set elsewhere.

Now another question. What speakers should I use? The ones that came with the pioneer HTP-072 set or my old Genius ones? The Genius ones were/are cheaper but actually feel better. They are wooden instead of plastic and twice the size of the Pioneer ones.

But I can't get much information on the Pioneer ones at all. Apparently they are (I am talking about the satellites):
6ohm 7.7 cm cone type

And as I said the Genius ones are:
20W RMS - 4” 8ohm full range, 1” 8ohm Dome tweeter

Which ones should I use?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Try both, see which ones sound best...to you Ignore the power rating. Even if the Pio delivers more power than that control sub has...it is cleaner power.

r00li

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrej
I did. I really can't see much difference. The Pioneer ones maybe have a slightly deeper sound. But I am really not sure. I could be just imagining things.

EDIT: Tried it a few more times. Pioneer ones really do have a bit deeper sound (sounds more bassey :D ). I think I'll go with them.

In any case - the sound is much better than before. Even when listening to stereo input. I don't know why but I like it. So I am pretty happy with my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks