What's new

connect equipment to reciever how? (1 Viewer)

Gregorius102

Auditioning
Real Name
Joakim Fredberg
Hey. Im new here and I have searched for similiar threads but I did not find any satisfying but Im sure there is answers here, somewhere in this jungle, well.

I recently bought an optoman hd67 from a friend.
Im not really sure how to connect everything and Im more than happy if u can help me.

I want to connect TV, xbox and computer (for movies).
My thoughts are that I first of all need a HDMI from my projector to the recievers output(?) and from a hdmi input to a hdmi splitter and then connect xbox and computer to the splitter? Am i right so far?

My TV is today connected with scart from the tv-boxer.
I think I need to buy 2 long rca contacts for sound and 1 long vga contact and pull(?) them both to the projector from the reciever? My boxer have vga-input so I guess the picture is provided from the vga signal and the sound from the rca cables?

I have searched for recievers and there is really lots of them on the market. But for certain, I need a reciever with at least 1 hdmi-output, right? Cuz ive found recievers with 4 hdmi input but no outputs.

I would be very gratefull if someone want to clarify this for me, and also, if u know a good and pretty cheap reciever that cover my expectations , please tell me which model of reciever I should buy.

Thnx, Gregorius.

Gregorius102

Auditioning
Real Name
Joakim Fredberg
schan1269 said:
You must be looking at bottom end AVR. Every $600+ (here in the US, not sure the EU exchange is) has two HDMI outputs.
But why do I need two hdmi outputs? I thought I could get around that "problem" with the hdmi splitter? 600$ is a bit much for me, student as I am.
Im looking for a reciever in the 350-400$ class.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Edit: Do I need to connect the splitter to a hdmi-output aswell?
Aswell as the hdmi from the projector i mean?

cheers

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The AVR is the hub.All sources connect to it.The output(since your budget only allows one) goes to a splitter to the projector/tv..It really is that simple.

Gregorius102

Auditioning
Real Name
Joakim Fredberg
schan1269 said:
The AVR is the hub.All sources connect to it.The output(since your budget only allows one) goes to a splitter to the projector/tv..It really is that simple.
Thnx, very much. Just want to make sure.
hdmi-out(reciever) -> splitter
Projector -> splitter
xbox -> splitter
computer -> splitter

Did I understand u correctly?

Whats needed in terms of inputs/outputs on the reciever?
1 output and no inputs? (well for sure there is inputs but not needed?).

Do u know a model of reciever thats good for me? :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Gregorius102 said:
Thnx, very much. Just want to make sure.hdmi-out(reciever) -> splitterProjector -> splitterxbox -> splittercomputer -> splitter Did I understand u correctly? Whats needed in terms of inputs/outputs on the reciever?1 output and no inputs? (well for sure there is inputs but not needed?). Do u know a model of reciever thats good for me? :)
Not even remotely close. The AVR has 4-6 HDMI inputs. Your sources go there. Plain Jane simple.The one, single, HDMI output goes to a splitter since you have two displays.

Gregorius102

Auditioning
Real Name
Joakim Fredberg
schan1269 said:
Not even remotely close.The AVR has 4-6 HDMI inputs. Your sources go there. Plain Jane simple.The one, single, HDMI output goes to a splitter since you have two displays.
Alright thnx, I did mix up hub and splitter, thought for a second AVR was the splitter but then its more clear, thnx for clarifying. I may sound retarded, and hope u are patient:P

Xbox -> avr
computer -> avr
projector -> avr

So far so good.
avr hdmi output -> splitter

But the splitters look like, 1 input and like 4 outputs.
Should´nt I connect anything more to the splitter since it have both input and output?

I feel completely retarded but this aint my domain, as u have figured i guess.

thnx :thumbs-up-smiley:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Splitters come in one to two outputs.No. If you buy a 1x4 splitter, instead of 1x2, you'll have signal loss and it won't work.

Gregorius102

Auditioning
Real Name
Joakim Fredberg
schan1269 said:
Splitters come in one to two outputs.No. If you buy a 1x4 splitter, instead of 1x2, you'll have signal loss and it won't work.
Alright, so I should buy a 1x2 splitter and connect the avr hdmi output to the splitter input and all are set? Plain jane god damn!

Gregorius102

Auditioning
Real Name
Joakim Fredberg
schan1269 said:
The new Onkyo 333.Onkyo tend to be the easiest for first timers. Followed by Yamaha.
Alright, thank you very much for all help.

One last thing please, I cant find anything similiar to onkyo 333 on the web, could you please link the avr?

cheers!

Edit: Are u referring to onkyo ht-s 3300?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Xbox -> avr
computer -> avr
projector -> avr

So far so good.

But the splitters look like, 1 input and like 4 outputs.
Should´nt I connect anything more to the splitter since it have both input and output?
Yes, you should have more connected to the splitter - so one last correction:

Xbox -> avr input
computer -> avr input

splitter -> monitor 1
splitter -> monitor 2

Gregorius102

Auditioning
Real Name
Joakim Fredberg
Al.Anderson said:
Yes, you should have more connected to the splitter - so one last correction:

Xbox -> avr input
computer -> avr input

splitter -> monitor 1
splitter -> monitor 2
Thank you, now i understand. The other dude was speaking in riddles for a electronic-tard as me.

But, I dont know if i actually need a splitter?
I wont switch between 2 monitors.
The projectors projection is the only monitor I will use.
When the computer is connected I will use wireless keyboard and mouse to navigate.

If I buy a avr with 3 inputs I could connect(?):

xbox -> avr hdmi in
computer -> avr hdmi in
projector -> avr hdmi out

Is that right?

And the TV-signal, how do I connect that?
I need to connect the boxer with rca and vga.
If i pull cables from the boxer right into the projector the sound wont go through the reciever?

I think I messed up in the topic. I will only use the projector, always, i wont have a TV also, TV-signal is what i meant.

Thnx

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"And the TV-signal, how do I connect that?"

Think what is messing us up - we are not used to "tv-boxer."

Tried looking that up - found a wiki page on it - here: "Boxer TV Access is a Swedish company providing pay television channels on the digital terrestrial television network in Sweden."

- Followed the Boxer link - but did not see an english version - here: -- did see a setup for what looked like a DVR - but could not figure out what kind of outputs it actually has - seen here:

- From what I gather - this is your "cable box" -- and you would hook this up to the receiver first. Best possible method would be to go through an HDMI connection - but not sure if your box has one of those...

-- If it does not have HDMI, then going with an optical cable connection would be the next best solution - along with RCA connections for the video - depending on the receiver, it may be able to send the video over to the projector through the existing hdmi output, and pull the sound from the optical cable.

Gregorius102

Auditioning
Real Name
Joakim Fredberg
Martino said:
"And the TV-signal, how do I connect that?"

Think what is messing us up - we are not used to "tv-boxer."

Tried looking that up - found a wiki page on it - here: "Boxer TV Access is a Swedish company providing pay television channels on the digital terrestrial television network in Sweden."

- Followed the Boxer link - but did not see an english version - here: -- did see a setup for what looked like a DVR - but could not figure out what kind of outputs it actually has - seen here:

- From what I gather - this is your "cable box" -- and you would hook this up to the receiver first. Best possible method would be to go through an HDMI connection - but not sure if your box has one of those...

-- If it does not have HDMI, then going with an optical cable connection would be the next best solution - along with RCA connections for the video - depending on the receiver, it may be able to send the video over to the projector through the existing hdmi output, and pull the sound from the optical cable.
Wow, thnx for a great post. Well, I thought u had "boxer" in the states, hehe.
But yeah, thats my cable box. The box itself have inputs, S/DPIF and thats an optical one, isnt it? It has two scart inputs (not interesting, very old shit), VGA and VCR.

So ill stick to that, an optical cable -> AVR for the sound.
But I cant see how I would be able to get the video from the existing hdmi:s?
The cable-box itself has no rca inputs, only vga...

I think the video should therefore be provided from a VGA -> projector but then I wont be able to switch to the box, right?

But there is VGA to hdmi converters on the market, maybe that should fix the tv-signal?
http://www.24.se/pub_images/medium/38207_40766.jpg
http://www.24.se/pub_images/medium/38207-4_40769.jpg
I think thats the way to go, then i can connect the cable-box right into the reciever :)

But in this particular case, I dont need a hdmi-switch, do I?

cheers and thnx!

Edit: Well, I just realized that, with that converter the audio will come with a cable that wont fit in my cable box, but I should be able to take the sound from an optical cable, shouldnt I?

This far, I have:
xbox ->hdmi in avr
cable-box -> hdmi in avr (sound with an optical cable, box -> avr)
computer -> hdmi in avr
projector -> hdmi out avr

how does that sound?

Edit 2: Well, I just realized (lol) that the sound cable from the converter is not meant to be connected to the boxer, but anyhow, is it better to take the sound from an optical cable or should I stick with the sound cable wich is included? (U see the picture in the link above)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Gregorius102 said:
Thank you, now i understand. The other dude was speaking in riddles for a electronic-tard as me.
It's not you, so don't feel bad. I know this stuff pretty well and I'm frequently baffled by his posts.

Gregorius102

Auditioning
Real Name
Joakim Fredberg
schan1269 said:
Your boxer does not have inputs. It has outputs.Learn the difference.Output goes to input.
Well, you should have noticed that im not that into electronics and there is no need to be rude (yes, I think your post was rude). Pretty amazed that high-posters, as u, behaving this way and your answers has really not been answers to my questions.

Anyway, if someone have an answer to my previous post I would be glad. Then I can go to the store tomorrow and buy that frekkin reciever :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks