What's new

Need hi-res scans to replace damaged snapper covers... help! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Everyone!
I writing to the folks here at the HTF because I need your help. Due to an accident beyond my control, I lost the covers of a slew of snappers and I need some help trying to find replacements. There is also another thread here talking about damaged covers, but please note that is someone elses thread and not mine (just a coincidence that we're both talking about the same thing).
But first, some backstory is necessary:
My wife and I have been slowly packing up stuff because we're moving to a new house soon, and we have some items stored away in our garage. About a week or so ago, the hot water hose going into the washing machine literally exploded, and there were inches of water on the floor in no time. We heard what sounded like an explosion and ran out to see what happened, and then scrambled to get the DVDs out of there (none of the other stuff mattered...dishs, clothes, etc...all washable). What really sucks is that I'm disabled and can barely walk, so trying to move the DVDs quickly was almost impossible, and we'd have lost more stuff if my wife didn't get most of it out of there.
Anyway, the boxes on the bottom of the stack were filled with my Image DVD collection, and I very literally lost 105 snapper covers. Because of the deluge of water, they all turned completely to mush and are gone forever. It wasnÕt possible to save a single one. As IÕm sure you folks can imagine, I completely freaked out over this (especially since I spent lots of time recently finding snapper cases so I could put these covers on my discs). Luckily I knew some people in the right places and I got 70 of these snappers replaced. While IÕm grateful to have those other covers, IÕm still missing covers for 35 titles.
It all sounds like some kind of bad dream and I really wish it was. But please know that I'm definitely not making any of this up. Paula and I are thoroughly ticked off at this whole, and it was not anything we ever expected to happed. (Just as an FYI, if any of youhave washing machine that use regular thick rubber tubing as water lines, replace them immediately with steel-coated tubing. This way when the rubber becomes degraded, you don't suffer something similar to what happened to us. When that rubber tubing goes, it literally explodes and the water comes out of it with the force of a fire hose. I shudder just thinking about the again... :eek :)
My big question to you folks out there in HTF land is this: by any slim chance do any of you have replacement covers for the titles IÕve listed below that you can either send me or sell to me for a nominal price? As an alternative, IÕm also looking for hi-resolution scans of the full covers for these snappers -- these would include the fronts, backs and the insides(i.e. chapter listings + ny info on the fold-out snapper covers). If I can at least find some scans, I can resize them and print them out to fit keep cases, so I can have a new home for my discs.
IÕve tried looking elsewhere for hi-res scans of these covers, but have been completely unsuccessful. For example, ImageÕs site does have scans of the front and back covers (but no scans of the inside covers), but they are all very low-res and unsuitable for printing. IÕve also tried various cover sites without success, since these titles I have are not mainstream Òblockbusters.Ó
If any of you would be able to provide replacements that would be great. But if any of you out there can make high-res scans of the full covers for these titles -- at the full height and width -- and email them to me, IÕd be extremely grateful (my email address is [email protected]). My understanding of my email server is that it will only accept email attachments between 5mb and 7mb in size. So any scans made should be under that size. Alternatively, if you have your own website where you can place larger scans, I do have a DSL line and can download them quuickly.
Many, many thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out. I know this is somewhat of a big undertaking and a big thing to ask of you folks, but please know that I do very much appreciate any help you can provide, and that there are not enough words I can say to show that appreciation.
Again, many thanks.
Jeff
List of damaged snapper covers:
5 Dolls for an August Moon (Mario Bava Collection)
Adult Version of Jekyl and Hide, The
Andy Warhol
Art of Fighting (animated)
Blithe Spirit (1945)
Blobermouth
Bride of the Monster
Brute Man, The (1946)
ChaplinÕs Essanay Comedies: Volume 1
Fist of the North Star (1986, animated)
Forever and a Day
Go West (Buster Keaton)
Heat (1972, Andy Warhol flick)
Hubley Collection, The: Everybody Rides the Carousel
In the Navy (Abbott & Costello)
Jail Bait (1954)
JamminÕ with the Blues Greats
Joni Mitchell: Painting with Words and Music (DTS version)
Laurel and Hardy and Friends: Volume 10
Legal Eagles
Lupin III: The Mystery of Mamo (animated)
Mahler
Mississippi Burning (Image version, not new MGM version)
Operavox
Our Hospitality (Buster Keaton)
Pretty as a Picture
Puppet Films of Jiri Trnka
Quantum Leap
Roujin Z (animated)
Secrets of Wars: Intelligence
Shivers
Steamboat Bill, Jr. (Buster Keaton)
Tiger Bay
Unknown Island
------------------
Jeff Krispow
Retired Reviewer
http://www.laserrot.com
[email protected]

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have DVD profiler? If so, is it registered? If not, that sounds like $25 well spent.
They have high res scans of every DVD as far as I can tell.
Thanks, Tom... I've looked at DVD Profiler before, but unfortunately it's completely useless for me. The program requires you to be on a Windows platform, a Ñ I use Mac and Amiga systems.
But I still have some questions. Do they have a way of accessing any of these images online, or does it require you have this specific program? I'd easily pay the $25 if I could just do through some online method without having to use their actual Windows program.
(Just as an aside, I'm sure some of you out there are tempted to tell me to just get a Windows machine... I've heard it all before, but it's not going to happen.)
Anyway, if there are hi-res scans on DVD Profiler, if anyone can tell me how to get them, I'd appreciate it. Or if one of you could take the time to download and email them to me, that would be great.
Thanks,
Jeff
------------------
Jeff Krispow
Retired Reviewer
[email protected]

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
Sorry to hear Jeff.
I'd help you with scanning mine but I don't own any of the ones listed. (much less heard of most of them too.)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Jeff,
FYI, I have a powerbook G3 that runs on the Mac OS 9.1 system. After installing "Virtual PC 4.0.2" software, I have downloaded and now use DVD Profiler and AOL 6.0 for windows.
It can be very handy.
Once in a great while, DVD profiler doesn't provide a picture of the DVD's back cover. When this happens, I sometimes can get it at DVDEmpire.Com. After doing a search and getting to the page where the DVD's title is located, you can click on the small image that will give you a high resolution image. When you click on the link that says back, you can also get a high resolution image of the back. Very convenient.
Paul

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions, Paul, but again, I do not want to buy a PC, either standalone or for my Mac, and Virtual PC certainly falls into that category. Virtual PC is completely worthless to me Ñ I have no "real life" use for this emulator. I know, I've tried a demo, and promptly cleaned it off my hard drive a few weeks later. Definitely not useful, and a huge waste of space (for me, that is).
Further, it's not worth it to spend several hundred dollars simply to be able to run another program (DVD Profiler) to use their hi-res images. And that's all I'd ever need it for...sorry, but do the math. And I don't even want to use DVD Profiler for anything other than use of their photos for 35 covers (I have no use for their cateloging features).
Also, sorry to say, but the photos on DVDEmpire's website aren't hi-res, and aren't decent enough to make a good printout. They're low-quality, low-dpi JPEG files. Strangely enough, they're 100% identical to the pix appearing on the BestPrices.com website... Hmm...
Well, looks like the search continues onwards.
Thanks, though...while this wasn't a workable solution for me, I still do appreciate your suggestions.
Jeff
------------------
Jeff Krispow
Retired Reviewer
[email protected]

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jeff,
Sorry, I don't have any of those, but I thought I'd let you know that you can get keep cases for a pretty reasonable price from uline (uline.com) just search for "DVD" the up side is they are only $0.80 ea. the down side is you have to buy them in lots of 100.
Is the "Mahler" you listed the Ken Russell one? I never imagined that one would ever be available on DVD. I am a Mahler fan but I can't stand that movie. I ajust don't care for Russell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks