What's new

Need Help with Video/Audio Cable Set-up In-Wall (1 Viewer)

Joe_Papeo

Stunt Coordinator
In my new kitchen I am putting a computer in a base babinet and an LCD hanging from the wall on a mount.

This will be for both computer and TV use by switching inputs on the LCD.

I am going to run a direct coax cable line to where the TV will be.

I am also going to run a DVI cable from the computer to the TV.

How should I do this?

It is going to be in wall. How do I get it to look clean?

With speakers, I can run the wire from gang box to gang box with termination ends and go from source to wall for each.

How do I do this with DVI, HDMI, or component cables? Can I run all 4 into a double gangbox? I dont think it would fit.

Sorry if I sound confused. It may be a simple answer.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Joe,

It’s fine for the speaker wires and the video feed to be in the same box, but there’s no reason to run all three video protocols. However, it’ll probably be easier to route component connections (RCA’s) through the holes in an electrical box than the other two, if your computer sends component (which I doubt).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Joe_Papeo

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,
Thanks for the feedback.

I didnt mean to confuse my question by mentioning speaker wire. All I was using that for was a similar examply, meaning....

wiith speaker wire, you can run it in wall and terminate it on each side in a gang box and use terminal connectors on each end.

i am trying to figure out the similar way to do dvi/hdmi/component.

do i just use a wire and have it loosely hanging out of the wall?

do i set it up inside a gang box and then connect my tv to a jack in the box?

do i put component cables in wall, in a gang box and then use another to connect from the wall outlet to my source?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Okay, I got it now.

If you have a situation where things will be hidden, you can run the cables right out of the wall. If the place you want the wires to come out of the wall is a visible location, you can use modular termination panels, like these:

One of the available modules is an RCA jack, like this:

The wiring you run in the wall is an issue. It’s supposed to be so-called in-wall rated, which primarily has to do with fire codes and insurance. I suggest using RG-59 antenna cable, as any coaxial cable is rated for in-wall use. Plus it’s cheap and will work just as well as so-called component video cables. For best results, make sure all three cables are the same length.

Coaxial cables have F-connectors, not RCAs, so you’ll need to get a few of these adapters:

You’ll need an electrical box of some kind for the termination panel to attach to. It’s a pretty tall order to stuff three coaxial cables in a single-gang box, especially if they have those adapters screwed to them. Fortunately, you can use an open-backed low voltage box like these:

http://www.smarthome.com/25431.html

The one on the lower left is for existing walls, the lower center for new construction.

Sources for all this stuff is Smarthome.com Parts Express, Home Depot, Lowes, Radio Shack.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Joe_Papeo

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,
Thanks for all the help man, I do appreciate it.

My big question would be can I do this with HDMI cables? DVI?

I am in the home stretch of this project now, in terms of construction.

Joe

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Happy to help, Joe. :)

DVI and HDMI are beyond the realm of the DIY-er, as far as I know. You’ll have to find some pre-terminated cabling the right length. Don’t know how that works with the in-wall rating issue, you’ll have to find that out from the supplier.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Joe_Papeo

Stunt Coordinator
I think I screwed up my speaker wire install. I ran cat 5 from my media center to the location for the keypads. I also ran speaker wire to that location and then speaker wire from that location to the speaker location.

I guess I was supposed to run it directly from my cedia closet to the speakers direct, whcih I didnt.

I hope I can just connect the 2 sets of speaker wire at the keypad location with some type of connector.

Silly me.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
As long as you ran 4 conductors to each volume location you will be fine, just crimp the speaker wire together. As to your LCD, I would just run the cable through the wall. Use a panamax outlet behind your LCD:
http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?group=1&sec=detail&id=219&ly=h

This gives you not only a surge protected outlet, but a slot you can take out and run all your cables through. I wouldn't worry about getting an in-wall rated DVI cable. Based on your description it is being run in a single stud bay from bottom to top. In wall (CL2 or CL3) cables have special jackets to prevent them from catching on fire and letting the fire spread using them. That makes sense for a cat5 cable running from one end of the house to the other. For something running 5 feet up the wall in a single stud bay that won't be an issue. Just run it up the opposite side of the stud bay from your power (for signal separation not flammability purposes).

Russell_C

Auditioning
You can get custom wall plates from DVIGear for DVI, HDMI, component etc. The can combine component and DVI on a single plate just describe what you want and they can do it. They may even have what you need in stock. The custom plates turn around in about 3-4 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks