What's new

Need help with speaker shielding (1 Viewer)

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Well ive got some 7" drivers from stryke.com Link to speaker
and ive got bucking magnets for them. them speakers when they come within like 5 feet of my TV make it all screwed up. with the bucking magnets (they aernt on all the way like a 3-5mm gap because the hole has to be grided down a bit what should i use to grind magnets down?) well they help the speakers get within about 2-3 feet of my TV. what should i use to shield the speakers better? ill be Jbwelding the bucking magnets onto the 7" and i just need to know what else to do . its just a small 19" RCA tv. probaby gonna get hung off the wall soon if i cant solve this problem.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Don't worry about the gap.

JB Weld takes a long time to cure. So attach the magnets first with a little bit of quick setting epoxy. Then use JB weld to make a permanent bond

The best way to shield the speakers is line the inside of the cabinets with sheet metal. It usually isn't necessary to line the entire box. Just line the top/bottom and side nearest the TV. Over time the sheet metal itself will magnetize.

Jason-Pro

Stunt Coordinator
yeah i figured it would.... thats why im trying to think/find ways of shielding it. my dad said sheetmetal would be dumb cause it would megnatize. so i dunno !!
trying to figure out a way tho.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Jason

The sheet metal will be effective for quite a while, but eventually it will magnetize. Might design the speaker so it can be removed or can be demagnetized with a bulk tape eraser.

The only after market shielding product that can be effectively used for a long time is called 'mu-metal'. It's VERY expensive. A google search will find you some sources for it.

Unfortunately you're now discovering the reason only drivers that have the effective shielding are the ones manufactured with it....

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I don't think they have to be the same size, just centered on the same axis... and their polarity has to be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks