What's new

Need help with s-video. (1 Viewer)

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
I will be moving into a new house in the next few months and have a dilemma with my video. I need to run an s-video cable from my reciever to my tv. Looks like it will need to be 35 - 40 feet by my estimate.
Now I know they sell cheap and expensive s-video cables. Someone (on another forum) suggested this as an alternative.

Here.

I can get my hands on plenty of cat5 so this seems to be a viable option.

Anyone tried it or have any other suggestions?

chris_everett

Second Unit
Although I've not run s-video through cat 5, I have run composite, without any problem (A 1000 foot spool did have some degradation, but not much, and that was probably due more to the distance loss). S-video should be better.
Cat 5 supports at least 100mhz bandwidth, which should be plendy for an s-video connection. (If my memory serves)

If you could return the Baluns, I would definenitly give it a try, and even if not, $62 is not a lot to lose, and you could sell them on e-bay or something.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The custom cable sites will build you a 40 foot SVideo cable for about $60.

While Cat5 does have 100 Mhz bandwidth - this spec is for a DIGITAL signal. This is a different spec than for analog.

Dennis Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone. I guess to make things easier I will just go with a regular s-video cable.
With that said, I have another possible issue.
Choice #1. I will need two wall plates. Drill a hole in each one so I can feed the one sole s-video cable (40 ft.) from the receiver to the TV. Then I will have to find something to make the larger hole around the cable more aesthetically pleasing. (fiancé)
Choice #2. I will need two wall plates with 2 s-video couplers and 3 s-video cables (4 ft., 30 ft., 4 ft.). One cable from receiver to wall plate/coupler. One cable from other side of plate/coupler to another coupler/plate. Then a final cable from outside of wall plate/coupler to the TV.

Will the added cables/coupler in choice #2 cause any video degradation?
I'm really not trying to make this difficult I just want to be prepared when I go to wire this. I will only have a short window of time.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid you will NOT find connectors for SVideo that go through wall plates. (at least not any that I would recommend.

Run the wire as a un-broken cable. Buy a blank wall-plate cover and drill a hole for the cable. Use a sharp knife to cut a slit to a nearby edge and bend the plate to make an opening for the cable to fit through. The slit should not be very visible when it is attached to the walls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks