1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

s-video to HDMI conversation help

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Radioman970, Nov 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I need serious help with Christmas coming up since I have a big set of old Russian fantasy movie DVDs I love to watch this time of year. Some are PAL and I have to use my Phillips DVD/VHS to watch. But right now it's connected with composite and everything looks terrible.

I have a big Samsung TV with the black box with HDMI connections. It's hooked to a Onkyo HD-R494 5.1.2 sound system with no s-video. A Sony blu ray player that can't do PAL. And the old dusty Phillips DVD/VHS player with s-video.

Wondering about a budget way to turn the s-video OUT signal from the Phillips into a HDMI IN signal going into the Onyko, which then goes into the Samsung.

I've looked at these and was wondering if this is a good choice.. If anyone has any experience with these or something else...

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-CoolDigital-Composite-S-Video-Upscaler/dp/B01CY34ZQA

https://www.amazon.com/EASYCEL-Converter-Composite-Upscale-Supports/dp/B07RRL8S12/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=s-video+to+hdmi+converter&qid=1574456290&s=electronics&sr=1-14

These plug into the wall socket. I noticed some of these use usb for power which seems the wrong way to go.

Заранее спасибо. И остерегайтесь Бабы Яги!

2. Roger Grodsky

Roger Grodsky Stunt Coordinator

I hope someone responds to this. I’m trying to hook up my laserdisc player to a receiver HDMI input!

Radioman970 likes this.
  3. Message #3 of 9 Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
  4. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    lol I don't know any of those turkeys they might be looney tunes!

I really do like running things by the folks here. Everybody loves home theater and I was sure someone needed to do what I"m doing.

The first one actually does look good. But I was also thinking there might be an even cheaper option like less than $20 that would be just as good.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Thanks for being good-natured – I was worried it would sound like I was being a wise you-know-what!

I doubt you’re going to find anyone here who’s still using S-video (or at least anyone who’ll admit it).

What I usually do in this situation is look at the 4-and 5-star reviews. I also check the 1-star reviews to see if any of the complaints are anything I care about.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Bryan^H, atcolomb and Radioman970 like this.
  6. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    now now! you're lucky my mood is right today. I mean that! lol

That is the best plan I agree. Those one stars can really say a lot sometimes.

I'll bet everybody just uses a all region player and that would cover my stack of stuff. Money is just tight now. I mentioned on another thread that my new home theater is now attached to the motor on my car. Transmission when out. That, and a stack of other problems. I don't want to get started on that. :(

But thanks for posting.

7. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    I use S-video and have it from my Directv receiver to my dvd recorder.

8. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Every single day:)
    For my CRT monitors S-video is better than anything in my opinion, including Component cables. It is kind of absurd how much better standard DVD looks through S-video on CRT than properly upconverted on my 4K TV. It isn't even close...except for the brightness of the 4K display is much better.

Radioman970 likes this.
  9. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I have LD S-Video going to a Denon 4311ci receiver and HDMI going to the TV. Coaxial from LD to demodulator to AVR (sound). The AVR does the video conversion.

Radioman970 likes this.