Need help with Pioneer CLD-406 laserdisc player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gabriel Tolosa, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Gabriel Tolosa

Gabriel Tolosa Auditioning

For some reason my player does not turn on. I was about to play a cd and i noticed that the standby light was not even on-like if there was no power going to it. I checked my connection on the player and the wall connector and still no power goes to it. I also tried another cable and still nothing, it just sits there like if its dead; no lights or error messages..i've only had it for maybe 4 yrs and never ever had a problem-always take good care of my hardware. I used it last about 2 days ago-I don't understand!? Does anyone repair laserdisc players anymore? Anyone have a similar problem before!? Would appreciate some help!
    Thank you
    Gabe

2. derek

derek Second Unit

Gabe,
    I have a 406 also. Have you checked the fuse? If the fuse is bad...and a replacement fuse also blows it could be a voltage protection circuit. There is a spike protection diode in the power circuit in some Pioneer players that typically has been problematic to being oversensitive. When this diode gets hit with a certain voltage it shorts... and no more power. You need to clip the diode at one end. I've run my 406 this way for a few years now no problems. Anyway...I believe the diode is 'D6'. If you have a voltmeter see if it is shorted. If it is clip one end and you should be in business. Remember that this internal voltage overprotection feature is now disabled unless you replace the diode.
    ------------------
    Derek
    Surround EX FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...urroundex.html

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

4. Gabriel Tolosa

Gabriel Tolosa Auditioning

I'm gonna call Pioneer and see what they say. If i open the player i wouldn't know what to do or what to look for. I may just make it worse [​IMG] . I really appreciate your input though!
    Thanks
    Gabe

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It does sound like a fuse issue. I'd bring it to a tech. The 406 is a decent machine, definitely worth spending $200 to fix IMO.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    Pat's the best!™
    AIM: PhilBiker
    click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!