What's new

Need help with Onkyo TX-SR702 (1 Viewer)

Dave Linger

Auditioning
Hey guys; first post here so cut me some slack. Basically here's the deal. I'm hooking my laptop (with a Creative Audigy 2ZS Notebook) to my home theater system. The home theater works great, we've got everything hooked up right, and commonly listen to surround sound DVDs and HD surround sound channels. (Just trying to say that the sound works. Our amp is 7.1 compatible, but we just have the 5.1 hooked up (no side speakers)

So anyway, what I want to do with the laptop is play games, which means I cannot output optical audio, as the audio is not encoded as Dolby or DTS. So I hooked it up "old-school", which means 6 seperate RCA cables, for front left, front right, rear left, rear right, center, and sub. So I plugged it all up and ran the channel identifier on the laptop, but only the "front left" and "front right" channels can be heard. All other channels are mute. So, thinking it was my laptop, emailed Creative, etc.

Then I tried plugging the rear cables from the laptop into the front inputs and... well, it works... now rear left and right go through the front speakers. (I did that to make sure audio was actually being sent via all cables)

So I re-hooked everything up correctly, and still only front left and right. It appears that my reciever is only "accepting" the FL and FR inputs. I searched through the setup screens, testing some things, but I never get any sound for anything except front left and right. here is an image of the rear of the reciever (I have this plugged into "DVD", as that is the only input of the type.)

us.onkyo.com/images/hookup/TX-SR702/detail_DVD_multi_video.jpg
(add h t t p : / / w w w .)

(That's the result of asking for a DVD hookup diagram on onkyo.com)

THANK YOU! :D

You can get me on AIM via handle DaveLinger89

JohnW

Stunt Coordinator
Did you actually select the "MULTI CH" from the front panel or the remote control (key "5" in Receiver mode)? Just checking the obvious...

Dave Linger

Auditioning
wow. I had no idea that button existed. I feel like such an idiot! I've been working on this for 3 days!:angry:

ANYWAY, thanks! it works great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks