Onkyo tx-sr702 ... THX

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Billy!!, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Billy!!

Billy!! Auditioning

I Need Some Help On A Couple Items..

I'm Making My First Home Theater.. the room is going to be 12' wide x 17' long . I going next saturday to buy the electronics..

infocus screenplay 4805 projector
    onkyo tx-sr702 a/v recivier
    onkyo dvcp-702 dvd player
    infinity primus 7.1 speaker package
    direct tv hd dvr recivier
    all thx wires

know if any one sees anything wrong let me know
    but my concern is the THX thing
    i would like to know that the thx select would be good enough for my room . do i need the thx dvd player and speakers or is the recivier going to be the main part for THX. i dont want to spend the extra money (thousands) for the speakers and the dvd player if i will not or barely know the difference ..

also i plan on building a false wall for the projector screen .. is it worth buying a screen or painting the wall ?

and the project it says it will convert everything to 480
    what is that = to i want a nce clear picture when watching a hd program or a dvd will t be good or great picture ..

thank you guys for all your future help !!!!!!!!

2. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    THX Select simply means (I have it on my Integra DTR 6.4--based on Onkyo 701) it has passed "quality control" tests from THX and meets certain specs. It also means it has THX post-processing that is supposed to make a soundtrack mixed for a large space (cinema sized) sound better in a smaller room. The amps have to meet certain standards re: impedence loads and the xover slope at 80hz has to conform to THX specs. You also get a fixed reference value for setting relative channel volumes. Basically makes set up a bit easier (though the AutoEQ function on the 702 might even be easier). You DON'T need to get all THX stuff for it to work. IF you did, the speakers would be designed to meet specific THX recommendations about the dispersion pattern and low frequency roll off. NOT essential by any means.

3. John S

John S Producer

THX is a badge, there is plenty of equipment without it that slays plenty of equipment with it out there. It should not be used as equipment buying criteria.

I would nix the expensive wires, no reason not to use decent quality wire over ultra expensive wire / interconnects.

Paint on screens can perform very close to mid level screens, high end screens only get you a little bit over mid level screens. Many times, owners can't even tell a difference.

Thsi projector is an ED (480p) projector. It is not an HD projector. As with Plasmas, I'd take a top notch ED display over a lower end HD display everytime. Once again, you have to look at the actual individual products here.

HD source looks really great on ED displays, at viewing distance people are hard pressed to tell a difference.

4. Billy!!

Billy!! Auditioning

ok thank you guys

so id the onkyo 702 a good recivier or it there better for the price ????

5. Billy!!

Billy!! Auditioning

is it worth running a dvi cable to the infocus screenplay 4805 projector or is the component cable going to be the best ??

6. John S

John S Producer

Running a DVI, and having the source feed it 480p in theory should be best as long as the source has no issues or has good performance in doing so.

But people have reported improvements running 1080i to the component video input over using 480p.

So, once again, try it both ways. As far as wiring goes, I'd run everything up to where the projector would me mounted. I'd run at least one connection for each input offered by the 4805...

7. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    As to the question of the receiver, I thoroughly enjoy my Integra DTR 6.4, based on the 701, so I'd anticipate the 702 is a great receiver as well (I chose the Integra for a feature the Onkyo didn't have, but the basics are the same in both).

8. Colin+M

Colin+M Stunt Coordinator

The Onkyo 702 is an outstanding receiver, i have one and couldn't be happier. Not to mention 3 component inputs and component upconversion. I have compared both the 702 and pioneer 1014. the 1014's auto mic setup is more involved and detailed, but to me the onkyo blows it away on sound, esp. loudness. and we all want loud[​IMG]

9. JoshuaHoffman

It's worth noting that if you want to use DVI, you need to choose another DVD player, as the Onkyo only has component [​IMG]