What's new

Need help with DVD-RP62 and DTS (1 Viewer)

JasonKosh

Grip
I am having a strange problem while watching the DTS track on my DVD-RP62 player.

On many DTS titles that I watch the sound will often become unsynched with the video. This obviously makes the DVD unwatchable. Sometimes removing the disc and restarting solves the problem. Sometimes it doesn't.
I've seen this occur on several titles, but not all.
I have never had a problem with the DD tracks.

Could the player be having a hard time with the higher bit rate of DTS?

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
Is your receiver or pre/pro DTS capable? Did you set-up the audio from PCM to Bitstream for the DTS on the Panny?

Arnold

JasonKosh

Grip
My receiver is DTS capable (Denon 2802) and I have set the output on the player to bitstream.
Like I said it works ok much of the time, but once in a while the audio and video will get badly out of synch.

I first noticed it on Lord of the Rings:FotR extended version. I thought I had a bad disc. I started the disc up later to show my wife and the problem was gone. I have had the problem on several other discs. Many times I can eject the disc and restart and it will be fine. This doesn't always work either though.
Most recently was Die Another Day. It was very out of synch and I couldn't fix it so I ended up watching it in Dolby Digital with no problems.

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like a problem with the Panny. I have the CP72 and none of the problems you mentioned.

Arnold

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Since it is inconsistent, you can rule out that it is the discs. This is a hardware issue, but whether it is your player or not is the next question, though I think that this problem is more often the player than not. My parents have the same issue occasionaly with their Sony player, and the problem is always solved by ejecting, hard power off, and restarting the movie. I have owned 2 Pannys and 3 Sonys and never had this issue.

What video interconnects are you using and hooked to what? DVD->TV or DVD->AVR->TV? What about audio interconnects?

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
It can't be the interconnects as it only happens with DTS and not DD. Can you get your hands on another DTS capable DVD player to rule out the AVR? It may be the DTS decoder in the AVR too.

Arnold

JasonKosh

Grip
I've considered that it could be the AVR. However, I'm more likely to believe the problem lies with the player. I could be wrong though. Maybe that's just what I want to believe.
I have component video running direct from the player to the TV. And optical interconnects between player and AVR.

I do have the audio connected to the VDP input on the AVR instead of the DVD input. I highly doubt this makes any difference, but thought I'd throw it out there as another variable.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think it is interconnects either, but having odd loops rather than direct connections in the setup could complicate the matter. My parents' system is all analog, because the receiver is DD-ready only, which suggests to me that theirs, as well as yours, is a player issue. I have heard of this problem before, though never with your particular model, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

I agree with Arnold, your next best test is to try another player, if you can borrow one from some where. You could always hit up BB or CC and buy a cheap one for a few weeks and then return it.

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
I have a panny rp-62, I dont have any issues like the one you mentioned. I have played DTS-ES tracks without problem too. It might not be the player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks