What's new

Need help with deck stairs.... (1 Viewer)

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
First off, it's fair to say that wood, saws, pencils, and tape measures are NOT my best friends.
I have finished my new Cedar deck, and now I need to put stairs down to the ground. Does anybody know the correct way of figuring out how many stairs will be required? I know that rise/run comes into play somehow, but the logic escapes me. I don't want to start cutting and then find out that I have miscalculated things.
This is what I have:
1 x 10' 2x10 for risers
4 x 8' 2x6 for stairs
I want to be able to get both risers to be cut from the one 2x10. The deck is only about 34" from ground level, so hopefully this one board should do both.
I want the stairs to be 2 wide for each step down. Imagine the 2x6's side by side on one riser.
I hope that I have given enough info for somebody to provide the proper way to go about doing this. I don't need the correct measurements to cut etc. I can do that if someone can at least provide the proper way of figuring out the rise, run, etc.
Help!!
Regards,
Stacey
:D

DonnyD

Screenwriter
That website does have some good info but stairs still isn't the easiest thing to layout and cut. Being a remodeler, it is easy for me but I have seen many good carpenters really get confused about it. Hope it works out for you.
A couple of guys I know, go down to Home Depot and buy one of their stringers just for the layout, which seems to be an easy way to do......
Good luck...

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Tim...

Thanks for the linkage....that site was just what I was looking for! Appreciate the help!

Donny...

As I mentioned above, I am not the best guy to be handling power tools. If I make a mess of the stringers, I may just end up going to H.Depot for some "precut" wood. Thanks for posting!

Regards,
Stacey

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks