What's new

Need help sharing a DSL connection between two computers (1 Viewer)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I am trying to share a DSL connnection between two computers, both running Windows XP home edition.
I have a DSL Modem and a hub.

The documentation for the modem indicates that I should be able to share the connection by connecting the modem to the hub's uplink port and connecting the other two computers to the hub's other ports. I can't get this to work. Any suggestions? Do I need to set up static IP addresses on the two comptuers or something? (If so, how exactly do I do this. E.g., what ip addresses should be used?)

I've tried XP's home networking wizard already.

For the longest time both computers were saying that a network cable was unplugged. I got that message to go away by setting the NIC's to 100 Half Duplex. (I read on a website that that's as good has hubs can do.) But the computers still could not see each other or the DSL connection.

In case I did get this to work, would I also be able to share files / printers between the computers without sharing them with everyone else on the internet?

The reason I am using a hub is because I already had it around the house. Would it be easier to network the computers a different way?

Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Is what you're using a hub or a router? If it's a hub (not a router) then you'll have to use static IP addresses. Also, if it's not a router, then make sure you've got your firewalls enabled since most hubs do not have built-in firewalls.

An alternative approach would be to install a second ethernet port in one computer and use XP's internet sharing function.

Kean-Hock Yeap

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, if you are using the Actiontec GT701 DSL modem that you linked to in your post, it already has a built-in NAT Firewall and DHCP server. So it does seem like you do have the correct hardware setup.

Things to check:
Is the connection between the hub and the modem actually working? Is it possible that you are not using the correct type of network cable or the cable between the hub and the modem is bad?

Are your computers able to get any IP addresses from the DHCP server on the Modem when you have them connected through the hub?

Is the DHCP server on the modem enabled?

Also, from the FAQ page for GT701:
http://www.actiontec.com/support/bro...t701_faqs.html
"I am connected to the Modem and I'm getting an IP Address but I can't get online. What should I do?
There are times when your computer can have problems resolving the DNS Address that that Modem gives out. To fix this simple go to the status page of the Modem's Web Interface and write down the DNS #s that the Modem has under the WAN section. Then statically input these DNS #s into your Ethernet Adaptor and you should be able to get online."

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not using crossover cables, and I used a cable testing device which indicated that the cables are working.

The computer that is currently connected to the DSL modem actually has two ethernet ports built into the motherboard (one is a "Gigabit LAN controller"). If I understand correctly, that computer would need to be left on in order for the other computer to connect, so that would not be an ideal solution. But if I did do this, would I need to use a crossover cable to connect the two computers?

I'll try some of these things out when I have a chance and post back. (The DSL connection works when connected to one computer, and someone is normally using it or downloading something, so I don't have many chances to disconnect the cables.)

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
yes you need to use a crossover when connecting from pc to pc,
also I would ditch the hub for a switch.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

This is true. However, many ethernet ports now are "auto-sensing" (or something like that) and can tell what type of connection has been made and will adjust the signal to essentially "create" a crossed-over signal through a patch cable.

LewB

Screenwriter
I'd start looking for firewalls. Is the XP firewall on ? If so, try turning it off. Do you have other firewalls installed ? If so, you may need to define the network address(es) as 'trusted'.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor

yeah but the auto sensing on most NIC cards is only to auto sense network speed not cable type, on the other hand on hubs/switches etc. you want them to have auto mdi/mdix ports if you can and then it wont matter what types of cables you use ;)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I haven't been able to get a network set up yet.

Since the modem we have now is rented from Qwest, I was considering just buying a new one that had more ethernet ports, such as this one.

Is there anything I need to watch out for when buying a new modem? Are certain modems incompatible with certain ISPs?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Just get a router instead of another modem. A cable runs from the modem to the router and then from there to the computers. This allows you to continue using your router if you ever switch services.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree with this too. And if you get a wireless router, you'll have even more flexibility.

Although, you could very well go with that 'all in one' Modem/Router (from your link), but (personally) I prefer separate components as they are more flexible for future setups.

Jeff, you mention that you rent the Quest modem? Is it old or new? If it's old, since you're renting it, you may want to contact your DSL provider about a new one.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I got a switch and the network is working now.

On one of the computers, there is a slight problem. Sometimes the sound card (built into the motherboad) will stop working. When an error message box comes up, you will hear the system beep instead of the normal sound from the sound card. (After resetting the computer, the sound will be normal again.) This did not happen before connecting to the network. Any ideas as to what the cause of this problem is?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks