What's new

Need help on finding information (1 Viewer)

Aaron G. S.

Auditioning
I'm currently writting a paper for a class of mine on home theater systems. The topics that I want to cover are what makes up a good low budget home theater, what the components are and how they are hooked up, what a large budget home theater has, and what the future holds? My problem is I can't find any books on home theaters that are up to date. Any information on this topics or if you could suggest any other would be very benefical. Thanks in advanced.

Aaron

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Aaron,
Try Home Theater for Everyone by Robert Harley. It is well written and very informative. Up to date? My copy is 1997 (1st edition) I would think that an uptaded copy should be in print. It covers all the basics and delves into the higher end systems.
Bill
Just checkedAmazon.com 2nd edition was 2000.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Why dont you look here? Or do you need a published book for reference?

The Dolby web site has some nice diagrams for a 5.1 speaker system.

BASIC COMPONENTS:

DVD player - This is quickly replacing the VCR in most homes as the main source of movies.

AV Receiver - This takes a single wire from the DVD player and breaks the signal out into 6 separate speakers worth of sound. Each speaker signal is called a "channel". The receiver provides from 75-130 watts of power to each speaker.

Speakers - A basic system has 5 bookshelf/monitor style speakers and a external subwoofer to provide the low-frequency sounds that small speakers cannot usually produce.

TV - Any type of TV display including tube-type or Rear Projection (called "RPTV") up to about 50" is good for basic.

LARGE BUDGET SYSTEM

This usually has a HDTV type television or a front-projection system with a drop-down screen.

The speakers are simply larger & more accurate, and a bigger or dual subwoofers are typical.

The receiver is replace by a pre/pro system which uses an external amplifier pushing 150-200 watts per channel to each speaker. Sometimes a receiver is still used, but an external amp is added.

And high-end systems are usually built into custom cabinents or the entire room is dedicated to media to create a mini-theater. (Suprisingly, the cost of the custom install can rival/excede the equipment cost.) Other things that cost $$$ are custom remote-control lighting, acoustic treatments, and electronics to distribute the audio/video to other rooms.

The DVD player - is actually the same one for the budget system. (Yes, a high-end system has a Progressive Scan DVD player which adds about $50 to the cost over a non-progressive player). There are also some 200 and 300 disk "jukebox's" that are a part of high-end systems.

------

A good source of pictures for high-end system would be a magazine called "Audio Video Interiors". It is the "Home and Garden" of the home theater world. The emphasis is on making the system blend in rather than sound/work good.

Hope this helps.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
(thought I should talk about prices)
A budget system (without the TV) is about $700. This will give you a DVD player and a HTB (Home Theater in a Box) which includes a AV Receiver, 5 speakers and a external sub.
Typical systems are about:
$1500 - rear projection TV
$300 - DVD Player
$900 - AV Receiver
$150-$1,000 subwoofer
$1000-$3000 - speakers
Total: $3800 - 6700
(Note: we dont go out and buy all at once. A big-screen TV is usually first, then a VCR/DVD player. Then a AV Receiver is added, then speakers, then external subs, all over time.) My system has been put together over the last 5-6 years.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
Aaron, if you need references for your paper, I'd suggest looking at magazines rather than books. The hobby is too new and moving so fast that anything written in a book will be obsolete a year later.

I'd go to the library and see if you can find issues of Sound and Vision or Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. The former of the two often has articles explaining exactly the questions your asking.

-Steve

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
The DVD player - is actually the same one for the budget system. (Yes, a high-end system has a Progressive Scan DVD player which adds about $50 to the cost over a non-progressive player).

The preferred choices are a DVD player modified with a digital video output (SDI, adds $600) to feed the scaler, one of a couple with scaled outputs having a resolution higher than 720x480 ($2K), or PC depending on SAF (spousal acceptance factor) and budget.

Other video sources include ATSC HD with movies transfered to DVHS or a PC based recording system and Japanese Hi Vision HD laser disks.

On the audio side, at least 7 full-range channels and a sub-woofer are called for; preferably with proprietary processing by Lexicon to synthesize an extra pair of surround channels.

Parametric equalization to deal with standing waves from the subwoofer(s) is a good idea too.

Aaron G. S.

Auditioning
Sorry I have not responding in a couple days, I had to go out of town. I appreciate the the infromation giving to me and it will help out greatly. I do need three sources besides the internet which I have found mainly from magazines. Anymore thoughts or ideas would be greatly apprecated. Thanks again.

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks