What's new

need help in picking equipment for theatre (1 Viewer)

RonaldSach

Auditioning
hello to all... just found this great site.

i am building a theatre in part of my basement.

my video guy is starting today to run wires/etc/etc.

i received a full proposal of equipment from him, and want/need opinions - here is what he is suggesting

luxeon hd dlp cinema projector
perfect vu electric roll down 106'' screen
harmon kardon 7200 receiver
phillips 9638a progressive dvd/sach player
sonance cinema ultra 11 ceiling speakers
'' '' '' '' surrounds
'' '' '' '' sub woofer consisting of
1 sonance watt rack mount amp and
2 sonance in wall sub woofers

my questions/observations are on

luxeon - see no feedback on these units- good/bad?? - i think i would rather spend another couple of $$ and upgrade to a projector that has the new mustang chip.. or maybe like an infocus 7200 unit??

harmon kardon 7200 - the reports on this look ok, but it is not thx certified.. should i have him upgrade to the harmon k. 8000 that is thx certified?? or another unit

as to the screen/dvd, i have no clue and need help. i have sonance speakers thruout the house and am pleased with the sounds... unless there is something that is better

the room in the basement, will have no windows, hence completely dark.

thanks for all replies in advance

ron

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Just a couple of my immediate thoughts... I don't know a lot about the video side, sorry.

1) In my experience, Harmon Kardon gear seems nice, but overpriced for what you get. Take a look at maybe Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, etc. to see if you like any of their comparably priced models, which might get you a little more bang for your buck.

2) If it is a dedicated room, are you 100% sure you want to go with in-ceiling speakers? I know they have great sounding ones these days, but there are still limitations encountered from having the sound come from the ceiling. How about regular speakers? Or even in-walls if you really want a hidden look, that might improve imaging, at least for the front stage. (plus aren't in-ceiling speakers comparatively very expensive?)

Anyway, just my $0.02!

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator

I completely disagree, if you are only looking at the retail prices then yes they are overpriced, but who pays retail?! I've compared all the options and come to the conclusion that the H/K receivers offer much more for the price than any of the others. They are all nice brands though. The new H/K models are obviously more expensive now because they haven't been available for long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks