What's new

Need help in deciding between these 4 HD sets (1 Viewer)

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
I've been looking around and doing reference on these 4 HD models:

Sony KV36HS20 $2299 Rex's (I like the set for the price and great pic quality too)

Sony KV40XBR700 $2999 Tweeter (I like the stand that is recommended for this set, will alllow for more components than the XBR2 stand)

SonyKD34XBR2 $3999 Circuit City (I'm really liking this set, but dislike the stand due to lack of space for components)

Panasonic CT34WX50 $2999 Tweeter (Close competitor to the XBR2, although no built in tuner)

If you guys could help me in deciding on these sets, I would glady appreciate it.

Also the prices listed are the store's listed and/or sale price. (Stores being Tweeter, Rex's, Circuit City). I know Sears will match any online competitor if I print out the page and take it to them but the others won't.

One more question, how do you guys talk the stores down in price? Online prices are cheaper, but I don't want the problems of shipping, maybe problems occurring during shipping, ie. damaged merchadise, having to ship it back, etc.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
36HS20 would be my first choice, 40XBR700 would be my second. The former has a great price/performance ratio, while the second satisfies the need for a larger tube which approaches the size offered by smaller RPTVs.

Because the Sony's offer a 16:9 squeeze mode, I (personally) wouldn't see the need to buy a dedicated 16:9 set. IMHO, watching 16:9 programming on a 4:3 ratio Sony is more bearable than watching 4:3 programming on a 16:9 ratio Sony.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I like them all and all calibrate well to consistantly track at 6500K through the gray scale.

You have to decide on 4x3 vs 16x9

Also, if you get a Sony make sure it has consistant color across the set and into the corners. Some of the sets have color hues in the corners which look quite similar to a magnetic field interfering with the picture tube.

Regards

Gregg

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
The picture looks astounding on all the sets I mentioned, it makes choosing even harder.

What exactly does an ISF calibrator do? Explain the process and what the cost would normally run in the Southeast. Does this void the manufacturers warranty?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I'm going to spend this kind of money, I want it to be right.

Mike Wil

Auditioning
The Sony KV36HS20 is a very nice set. We own one, and I love pretty much everything about it. The only bad thing is that it's soooooooooo heeeeeeeeeavy.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Why not the 36" XBR? Isn't the XBR series better than the HS series? Costco had this set a while back for $2000.

Matt Rich

Auditioning
Beware of price changes on the sony's.

I've seen the 32hs20 for $1499 a lot of places, which is $300 off MSRP, but the 36hs20 is harder to find at a good price. I think maybe the 32"'ers are being replaced by newer models earlier...Just a guess.

You should be able to get the 36" for $1999

matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks