What's new

Need help filling out Certificate of Conducting Business for Individual (1 Viewer)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the process of obtaining a business license and the first step is to fill out a form called: Certificate of Conducting Business under an Assumed Name For Individual.

The form looks pretty simple to fill out except for the last section which I'm not too sure about. This is what the form looks like: (Keep in mind that this business does not currently exist. First time.)

I HEREBY CERTIFY that I am conduction or transacting business under the name or designation of -I assume business name goes here-
at -address goes here-
My full name is -my name goes here-
and I reside at -my address goes here-

I FURTHER CERTIFY that I am the successor in interest to -What goes here? Business name? My name?-
the person or persons heretofore using such name or names to carry on or conduct or transact business. -What goes here?-

That last section (starting from I FURTHER CERTIFY...) confuses me a little bit. It looks like it's for an existing business that is being transferred from the previous owner to the new one. But this is not an existing business. I'm doing this for the first time. And yet that section MUST be filled out.

Any idea what I should write in that section? Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
The business license is issued by the state and getting an answer from them can take a while. I plan on doing that though.

I'm just trying to reach anyone who may have filled one of these out in the past.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
This looks like a simple DBA (does business as) form. If you're a sole proprietor or sub-chapter-S corp you may have a corporate name that is different from the company name. (Your "company" name could simply be your name, or it could be something like AndresCo but if the business is a store the name might be "Silica'N'Things". So that would be your DBA.)

Since you're not taking over an existing business or reusing the name your dad once used for his (now defunct) silica store, I think you would just skip that part. It doesn't apply to your situation, so there's no reason to complete it.

If getting an answer from a live person is difficult I can't believe that there isn't some kind of instruction sheet available for this form. Where did you get the form itself? Are there any offices of the state agency that issued the form in your area? They should have instructions. How about the state website? Do they have a FAQ? Seems there ought to be something useful here.

I just did a quick Google search and came up with an on-line version of the form and it is clear from the layout that the part you're concerned about is merely an optional item that you would fill out if it applied to you. Othewise you skip it and sign for the notary where indicated.

If you have the form notarized at a legal stationery store there is a good chance the notary will know enough about such things to let you know if it looks like you made any mistakes.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks