What's new

Need Help - Best DVD Player under $300? (1 Viewer)

Fred Pfeifer

Auditioning
I'm looking for the best DVD player under $300. My 18 month old Sony 560 DVD player has started to overheat and exhibits all sorts of nasty behavior. Rather than spend $$$ to get it repaired, I'm considering getting a new DVD player. A single disc unit is fine, and I don't need progressive scan since I don't have a HDTV. I would like the DVD player to also play audio CD, CD-R, CD-RW & MP3 discs. So far I've looked at the Panasonic DVD-RV32K, Samsung DVD-M301 and the Denon DVD-800. I'd prefer a black model to match the rest of my components. You're suggestions would be much appreciated, as I don't have the time to research all of the choices. Thanks.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Toshiba 4700 plays everything you want plus DVD audio and has a great interlaced picture and nice features. It also has a progresive ouput. I know you don't need it but you'll have it if you need it later. The 4700 cabe had for $250 or less.

Fred Pfeifer

Auditioning
Thanks for the suggestion Bobby T. I'll definitely put the Toshiba 4700 on my short list. It looks like it would fulfill my requirements nicely.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget about the JVC XV-SA70BK and XV-SA75GD. They are the same player, but one is gold and the other is black. DVD-Audio, Progressive, great picture and it plays all the formats of the Toshiba. Check it out too at about $250.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Fred, also consider the Pioneer DV-440 for around $180. It is only 2.25" tall, and the build quality is solid for the price. It has a Burr-Brown 24/192 DAC. Pioneer is also coming out with the DV-353K for $140 that looks to be similar. See www.crutchfield.com for more information on these players. The Pioneer players don't do DVD-Audio, but they look to be solid for money otherwise.

Fred Pfeifer

Auditioning
Thanks guys for all of the helpful suggestions. I ended up purchasing the JVC XV-S70BK from Vanns.com for under $200 (eBay). Vanns is an authorized JVC e-tailer so I have a valid warranty. My initial impression is that this will be a great DVD player for my current and future needs. JVC includes a couple of Audio DVDs in the box which sound incredible. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks