What's new

need good set of speakers for $650~ (1 Viewer)

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Hello

I have been using a HK-520 and JBL SCS 135 which comes with S Center, 4 satellites, and a 8" sub. I would like to upgrade to better speakers in the front preferably in the JBL series. can someone suggest a good set that would go for about $650- including center and a pair of main speakers? I am leaning toward bookshelves/satellites.

Thanks in advance for the posts

ChrisJJ

Agent
I like my NHT SB-3s and there associated center. They cost about that much. Very neutral to my ears. Surprisingly good bass for there size, although a good sub is recommended.

Chris

noahG

Agent
I'll second the NHT recomendation. Amazing sound for their size. I bought my sb-3's about 2 weeks ago and I'm still in that stupid grin phase of ownership.

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Don't want to look or sound stupid but what brand are the NHT's are they JBL's? And if they are, what "speaker series" are they from?

Can anyone give me some opinions on the VMPS Speakers that John mentioned? Thanks and keep posting...

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
$609.97 said:
If it's good enough for the DD/DTS 5.1 Mixing Sound Engineer, then it's good enough for me! :)
FYI: Audio journalists choose the JBL S26 as the best speaker on most clips (Blind-Test - Computer Controlled Audio & Video clips) vs. a Boston Acoustics CR8 & a B&W DM601! Jul 1, 2001 - Scott Wilkinson - "OBJECTIVE SUBJECTIVITY" - Electronic Musician
Phil

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Or haunting eBay or ubid for bargains can net you a pair of S312s for about $300, and the S-Center and S26s at the price Phil listed fits you into that price range (depending on where you are, the cost of shipping the S312s, which are enormous, might push you a bit over).

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Athena AS-F2. Heard them yesterday. Check out the new Stereophile. $599pr, Floorstanding.

-rob

-

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Could go with the nOrh 4.0s. They will run you $675 delivered. Paradigm, B&W, PSB, and Def Tech should all be within your price range. VMPS are supposed to be pretty good and you should be able to find more information for them at Harmonic Discord.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks