What's new

Need an S-Video switching solution. (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Hello.

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, if a mod can think of a better place, go ahead and move it.

Short story: I've lost a lot of interest in Home Theater and no longer consider it to be a major hobby for me. However, I do still want to be able to enjoy movies on a modest set-up with minimal cash outlay.

As per my new philosophy, I'm selling off the separates and high end stuff (pre is gone, cables are gone, amp and CLD-99 still for sale in the Hardware section.). My current reciever (which sounds fantastic by the way) is an older unit that only contains composite switching. However, all my audio and video sources are S-Video. This causes a problem for me. I have been using a simple S-Video switch that I got from Parts Express (which I previously used elsewhere in the house).

My problem is that I'm getting bad signal degradation on DVD S-Video, mostly occasional color loss. I believe it's probably caused by Macrovision. This did not happen when an Outlaw 950 was doing the switching.

I am running a 50 foot run of S-Video cable, high quality stuff from Blue Jean Cable. On the component side of the switch all the cable is relatively high quality - Liberty, AR, Monster.

I am thinking that I need a better powered S-Video switch like the Sima SVS 4D (I wouldn't buy from Crutchfield, that's just a handy link).

Any other specific recommendations?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Hello.

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, if a mod can think of a better place, go ahead and move it.

Short story: I've lost a lot of interest in Home Theater and no longer consider it to be a major hobby for me. However, I do still want to be able to enjoy movies on a modest set-up with minimal cash outlay.

As per my new philosophy, I'm selling off the separates and high end stuff (pre is gone, cables are gone, amp and CLD-99 still for sale in the Hardware section.). My current reciever (which sounds fantastic by the way) is an older unit that only contains composite switching. However, all my audio and video sources are S-Video. This causes a problem for me. I have been using a simple S-Video switch that I got from Parts Express (which I previously used elsewhere in the house).

My problem is that I'm getting bad signal degradation on DVD S-Video, mostly occasional color loss. I believe it's probably caused by Macrovision. This did not happen when an Outlaw 950 was doing the switching.

I am running a 50 foot run of S-Video cable, high quality stuff from Blue Jean Cable. On the component side of the switch all the cable is relatively high quality - Liberty, AR, Monster.

I am thinking that I need a better powered S-Video switch like the Sima SVS 4D (I wouldn't buy from Crutchfield, that's just a handy link).

Any other specific recommendations?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
If you want a really good S-video switcher, seek out a used JVC JX-S700 or JX-S300. The 700 switches 7 sources and the 300 does 4. Sima doesn't make anything that even compares, IMO.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
If you want a really good S-video switcher, seek out a used JVC JX-S700 or JX-S300. The 700 switches 7 sources and the 300 does 4. Sima doesn't make anything that even compares, IMO.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
By doesn't compare do you mean to imply that the Sima won't eliminate my color loss S-video problem? That's all I'm after. If I degrade the signal a little I really honestly don't care.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
By doesn't compare do you mean to imply that the Sima won't eliminate my color loss S-video problem? That's all I'm after. If I degrade the signal a little I really honestly don't care.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Phil, proably, the colour loss is caused primarily by your 50 foot run...? That's double the advised maximum for unamplified runs.

The JVC's have record outs and the 700 has other features too. The Simas are just simple switchers. The JVC's also perform better. I had a Sima switcher once, overnight. I returned it the next day. In a word, mediocre. Actually, I ordered the JVC JX-S300 in it's stead the next day.

I'm not sure what will solve your colour loss problem, but two 25 foot S-video cables and an amp in the middle seems logical...

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Phil, proably, the colour loss is caused primarily by your 50 foot run...? That's double the advised maximum for unamplified runs.

The JVC's have record outs and the 700 has other features too. The Simas are just simple switchers. The JVC's also perform better. I had a Sima switcher once, overnight. I returned it the next day. In a word, mediocre. Actually, I ordered the JVC JX-S300 in it's stead the next day.

I'm not sure what will solve your colour loss problem, but two 25 foot S-video cables and an amp in the middle seems logical...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks