What's new

Need advise on speakers.... (1 Viewer)

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
Hello. I have a decent system at home. I have an Onkyo 989 for my receiver, but my speakers are not so great. I have a Klipsch 15 inch sub and the rest of my speakers are a mix of speakers (Cerwin Vegas for the center and fronts, old Pioneer speakers for the surrounds, and crappy bookshelf speakers for the surround backs). I know that the typical answer is that I need to go out and listen to speakers to get what I like to hear, but I'm interested to hear from anyone out there what speakers you would advise? I listen to movies 95% of the time, so I'd definitely lean that direction. I thought about starting to build a Polk system, but I'm not sure. I've heard certain speakers sound better with Onkyo's, so any advise would be appreciated! Thanks!

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
You need to go out and listen to alot of different speakers. The best thing you can do is listen to them in your own house with your own equipment. Internet companies have great speakers at great prices and depending on who you talk to will have a preference. I prefer the Rockets from AV123.com. Others will have different opinions.

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
Get a pair of Polk RTi10's, and a Polk 303 or 404 black subwoofer. You could also use a Velodyne CHT12, which is pretty powerful and clean.

For surrounds you can use the polk Fxi30's, which match up pretty nicely with the RTi10's. The Csi5 or the Csi3 is a pretty sweet center channel.

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
Well I don't have the money to be able to go out and buy all the speakers I need at once, but I can put them together piece by piece, so that way my wife doesn't have a fit if I were to spend $1000 all at once. So I could buy the fronts or surrounds by themselves and get the rest of them later, etc.

Speaking of speakers and speaker placement, I have a question on bipole speakers. I have read about them and how they work, but I've heard negative things about purchasing bipole or dipole surrounds for a 7.1 system, since you have speakers behind you. Should I just be concentrating on monopole speakers or would bipole speakers sound better, even with my 7.1 system?

Justin=>

Grip
If would recommend Tannoy. I find their dual concentric speakers outputs clean clear audio it is accurate in all frequencies. Since you are mainly using your system fot HT,
you should consider Tannoy if you want to listen clearly to dialogs from movies.
I got myself the Tannoy Saturns. I'm very happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks