What's new

Need Advice: Setting up RPTV for the first time (Samsung hcn653w) (1 Viewer)

Todd K

Second Unit
Hello all,

A friend of mine who knows very little about the world of HT purchased an HD RPTV off eBay a few weeks ago. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'm supposed to go over there tommorrow and clean it up a little. My first impression is that this is a pretty nice TV. The problem is that I've never worked with one of these rear projection jobs before, let alone an HDTV.

I read the manual and I want to make sure I'm clear on a few things.

1. First of all: We'll be connecting a non-progressive scan DVD player to this TV. There are three component inputs, but as you can see in the ebay link, two are for 480p/1080i only, and the other one (which I will obviously have to use) is for 480i/480p/1080i. Here's where my ignorance comes in: The specs say it has a progressive scan upconversion system with 3:2 pull down. Is this something that will kick in automatically when I plug in that interlaced DVD player? Is this technology also applicable to RF, composite, and s-video inputs as well?

2. 3D comb filter: Which of the inputs are affected by the 3D comb filter?

3. Convergence: The specs make it look like it has a pretty nice 15-point convergence system. I've never converged anything before, but the instructions don't make it seem too difficult. It also looks like it has an auto-convergence feature. Is this something I have to do for each input I use, or can I do it once and it takes care of the entire TV? (I ask because there's a cryptic line in weird English in the manual that states "The Perfect Focus function doesn't operate when component input is in 480p.")

If I have any more questions before then, I'll post them. As of now, I plan to go over there, hook up the component cables, set the DVD player for a 16:9 television, try out the convergence, and try some tweaks with my copy of Digital Video Essentials. Is there anything else I should be concerned with?

Thanks much for your attention.

Todd

John S

Senior HTF Member
1. Yes it will kick in automatically. Yes, it should be applicable for all sources. (I recently was told this here, I sort of argued, but in testing, they are correct, it is available to all my non-hd/ed sources)

2. The 3D comb filter I believe is only for your Composite inputs.

3. You seem to have a grasp on Convergence. It is even simpler than it reads. Auto convergence does work very well on the sets I have seen with the feature. My TV has its own convergence menu, I am not sure if it is source specific or not. That is a great question, one I want to know the answer to as well.

If your familure with DVE, you will look like a PRO to your friend for sure. Piece of cake. I see an RP HDTV in your very near future, after some experience with your friends. lol

Todd K

Second Unit
Thanks John. Will be heading over there in about three hours. If all goes well we'll be seeing some spectacular stuff. The True HD won't come for a few more weeks, though, until my buddy gets DirecTV or similar service.

Todd K

Second Unit
Well, I got the job done and the TV's up and running smoothly.

I encountered a couple of quirks, however.

When I went to adjust the sharpness, the picture remained the same all the way from 0% to 100%.

What bothered me more was the zoom modes. I was a little puzzled as to which was the correct one. I took a screen capture of the corresponding page in the manual:
http://home.gwu.edu/~kluss/486/untitled.JPG
As you can see, their version of English is a little confusing. I had the DVD player set for a 16:9 TV, so that wasn't a problem. I initially thought that the "wide" mode was the correct setting when watching anything in a 16:9 format. Then I changed to "panorama," and saw that I was getting slightly more picture on the sides. So I was quite puzzled. What would the "wide" mode be used for, then? It would seem to serve no purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks