Need Advice: Setting up RPTV for the first time (Samsung hcn653w)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Todd K, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Hello all,

A friend of mine who knows very little about the world of HT purchased an HD RPTV off eBay a few weeks ago. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'm supposed to go over there tommorrow and clean it up a little. My first impression is that this is a pretty nice TV. The problem is that I've never worked with one of these rear projection jobs before, let alone an HDTV.

I read the manual and I want to make sure I'm clear on a few things.

1. First of all: We'll be connecting a non-progressive scan DVD player to this TV. There are three component inputs, but as you can see in the ebay link, two are for 480p/1080i only, and the other one (which I will obviously have to use) is for 480i/480p/1080i. Here's where my ignorance comes in: The specs say it has a progressive scan upconversion system with 3:2 pull down. Is this something that will kick in automatically when I plug in that interlaced DVD player? Is this technology also applicable to RF, composite, and s-video inputs as well?

2. 3D comb filter: Which of the inputs are affected by the 3D comb filter?

3. Convergence: The specs make it look like it has a pretty nice 15-point convergence system. I've never converged anything before, but the instructions don't make it seem too difficult. It also looks like it has an auto-convergence feature. Is this something I have to do for each input I use, or can I do it once and it takes care of the entire TV? (I ask because there's a cryptic line in weird English in the manual that states "The Perfect Focus function doesn't operate when component input is in 480p.")

If I have any more questions before then, I'll post them. As of now, I plan to go over there, hook up the component cables, set the DVD player for a 16:9 television, try out the convergence, and try some tweaks with my copy of Digital Video Essentials. Is there anything else I should be concerned with?

Thanks much for your attention.

Todd

2. John S

John S Producer

1. Yes it will kick in automatically. Yes, it should be applicable for all sources. (I recently was told this here, I sort of argued, but in testing, they are correct, it is available to all my non-hd/ed sources)

2. The 3D comb filter I believe is only for your Composite inputs.

3. You seem to have a grasp on Convergence. It is even simpler than it reads. Auto convergence does work very well on the sets I have seen with the feature. My TV has its own convergence menu, I am not sure if it is source specific or not. That is a great question, one I want to know the answer to as well.

If your familure with DVE, you will look like a PRO to your friend for sure. Piece of cake. I see an RP HDTV in your very near future, after some experience with your friends. lol

3. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Thanks John. Will be heading over there in about three hours. If all goes well we'll be seeing some spectacular stuff. The True HD won't come for a few more weeks, though, until my buddy gets DirecTV or similar service.

4. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Well, I got the job done and the TV's up and running smoothly.

I encountered a couple of quirks, however.

When I went to adjust the sharpness, the picture remained the same all the way from 0% to 100%.

What bothered me more was the zoom modes. I was a little puzzled as to which was the correct one. I took a screen capture of the corresponding page in the manual:
    http://home.gwu.edu/~kluss/486/untitled.JPG
    As you can see, their version of English is a little confusing. I had the DVD player set for a 16:9 TV, so that wasn't a problem. I initially thought that the "wide" mode was the correct setting when watching anything in a 16:9 format. Then I changed to "panorama," and saw that I was getting slightly more picture on the sides. So I was quite puzzled. What would the "wide" mode be used for, then? It would seem to serve no purpose.